Asset Tracker Kit v2 enclosure: weatherproof==weather resistant?

Hi guys,

from this link I see that the asset tracker enclosure is weatherproof.
What does it mean exactly?
Does it mean the same as weather resistant NEMA Type 3 in this list from Wikipedia?

It says:
NEMA Type 3 : Weather-resistant. Protects against falling dirt and windblown dust, against weather hazards such as rain, sleet and snow, and is undamaged by the formation of ice. Used outdoors on ship docks, in construction work, and in tunnels and subways.

thanks!
Gustavo.

EDIT: pinging @KyleG @will since I’d like to get an answer from Particle - thank you

1 Like

Let me find out for you!

Well I know I’m just another pole but… The same description is given to the enclosure supplied with Asset Tracker v1, that is a very anonymous enclosure (you would normally expect to see a manufacturer logo in the plastic somewhere) with pretty ropy finish quality to the moulding on the base in particular. However despite its slightly cheap looking appearance I would say the construction and design were very much inline with what I would expect to see on an IP67 enclosure, there’s a convincing gasket, the lid screws and mounting holes are outside of the main enclosure, lid goes on tight all good signs. If the tracker V2 box is similar ( I can see the lid screws are different) I would think it easily met the standard you mention. OTOH you can go to your local electrical wholesalers and buy any number of enclosures rated at whatever you please as well as all the other favorites like Mouser etc.

1 Like

thank you for your thoughts!

yup, I just would like to use the enclosure provided with the kit :wink:

Agreed that the box should be able to withstand those conditions. IP67 is a common rating for these types of enclosures, but @KyleG should be able to confirm with our Operations team that the box we’ve sourced is consistent with that rating.

1 Like

Sorry about the wait! Here is the link to our enclosure. It is designed to IP65 of IEC 529 and NEMA 1, 2, 4, 4x, 12 and 13 specifications.

Kyle

thank you so much Kyle!

1 Like