Android Particle App: Error Please try running setup again after resetting your Photon and putting it back in blinking blue listen mode if needed

I am not able to add a Photon via the Particle App (v 2.3.4) on Android. I’ve not had this problem for years but now it’s not working. I say “Ready” and then select the Photon-XXXX network, but receive: “Error Please try running setup again after resetting your Photon and putting it back in blinking blue listen mode if needed”. This happens after my Android disconnects from my wifi, and connects with the Photon AP.

I’ve tried a Samsung S9, an S8 a Samsung Tab. I’ve tried it on 2 different wifi networks (with previously connected Photons working fine on the same network). I’ve tried with 2 different accounts. Same result.
2 brand new photons out of the box, plus another 1 that was previously claimed and setup. I’ve tried with out of the box firmware 0.5.3 (they’re old), and have tried after using CLI to “particle update” it to 0.7.0.
The Android/Samsung “mobile data” is switched off (the old "smart network switch), although I even tried with it on.

Using https://setup.particle.io/ works to get connected. Using an iOS device works to get connected. Using CLI with device in DFU mode and particle setup worked on the 1 device perfectly, the other had a serial com error but did work to configure through iOS Particle App.

Any advice or suggestions? I have combed through the community posts and couldn’t find any solution that works. Yes, I can get it to work resorting to CLI or iOS, but I need to get this working on Android to test my own app (only installed on 1 out of the 3 devices) to allow for device setup.

1 Like

Let me ping someone that might be able to help, @rickkas7, @ParticleD, or @mstanley are you able to assist?

Thanks @KyleG - There are more people with the same issue and more info in this post I discovered after posting : Unable to connect new devices from Particle app

Correct, this is a known issue with Samsung devices and is currently being investigated by our mobile team. I’ll go ahead and close this topic so that we can keep track of everything in the other topic and have it all in one place.

3 Likes