Adafruit veml 7700

Anyone have a veml 7700 working with particle?
No library yet.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-veml7700

Have you tried using this library to see if it works? A lot of times they do work.

someone over there in their forums said they are trying to port it to no avail.
“I’ve been trying to port the library to Particle.io
But the main issue comes from “Adafruit_I2CDevice” which is used in more and more adafruit libraries and that has not been ported to Particle.io yet.”

Do i have to install the cli and publish the library or can i just try copy and pasting it flat into my code first to see if it works?

You can just copy into web IDE (with .cpp and .h in the tab names) - include in main .ino and it should work fine. I do this all the time for testing libraries

Didn't know that little '+' button was up there in the right hand corner .. ah ha .
So that took me down the rabbit hole of many other missing dependancies which I added about 10 more includes .. now I am getting:

Adafruit_SPIDevice.h:33:8: 'BitOrder' has not been declared
Adafruit_SPIDevice.h:39:8: 'BitOrder' has not been declared
Adafruit_SPIDevice.h:55:3: 'BitOrder' does not name a type
Adafruit_SPIDevice.h:33:27: 'SPI_BITORDER_MSBFIRST' was not declared in this scope
Adafruit_SPIDevice.h:39:27: 'SPI_BITORDER_MSBFIRST' was not declared in this scope

I suspect that this is going to be quite a bit more difficult than just including some files .. probably need to port code since it seems to be getting down to the base level spi and i2c libraries.

Ill mail someone a free sensor or two if anyone wants to help port the libraries!

@rpogge, the issue are lines like this:

#if defined(__AVR__) || defined(ESP8266) || defined(TEENSYDUINO)

None of the typical tests look for PARTICLE devices. However, I wonder if in your .ino file, prior to #include "Adafruit_VEML7700.h line you add #include "Arduino.h. Give it a shot to see if it works.

unfortunately no luck there mate. Good thought though!

1 Like

I have published a port of this library:

Adafruit_VEML7700

Particle Build - GitHub

5 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for the great help to the community with your VEML7700 port to Particle.

I’ve run into the same complications rpogge describes trying to use the updated VEML6075 Adafruit library 2.0.0 directly from GitHub.Do you know if the Adafruit_I2CDevice.h you have written will support the VEML6075? Thanks again!

1 Like

I think it should. From looking at the library on GitHub, I think you will need to include Adafruit_I2CDevice.h and Adafruit_I2CRegister.h

Super! Thank you for taking time to respond and help. I will test this out tomorrow.

1 Like