I’d recently decided to do some real world testing of the effective ranges of the Bluetooth mesh so I decided to break out the devices I got at Spectra and write some custom ping functions to use. Flashing my updates to my gateway I noticed that it would flash a red SOS before restarting and eventually breathing cyan normally. I try reverting the code changes I had made but the default Gateway ping is no longer working and the Xenon is still flashing red when I update it.
Figuring numerous updates had been done since Spectra seeing as they are now shipping the mesh devices, and noticing a new Mesh network tab on the console website, I decided to un-claim both the gateway and badge figuring re-adding them would help sort out whatever was going on (I now realize this probably was a mistake).
I go about claiming the gateway first as I’ll need to setup a new mesh network and I notice that the claim process now updates the devices firmware to the latest version (0.8.0-rc.25). Having finished setting up the gateway I move on to claim the badge Xenon. Setup proceeds normally until it gets to the firmware update step. The Xenon starts blinking magenta as it had on the gateway but I get a popup on my phone immediately notifying me that the Bluetooth connection had been lost and to put the Xenon back into listening mode. Trying this a few times and even completely restarting the claiming process but coming to the same roadblock I come to the conclusion that since the device is doing a firmware update it needs a “permanent” internet connection in order to download and update everything correctly, as I had gotten the same message with the gateway but putting it back into listening mode and hitting retry on the app successfully updated the firmware.
I then go about taking the Xenons out of the badge and and Ethernet featherwing, and placing the former badge xenon into the Ethernet wing. I then tried to claim the xenon normally and got as far as the firmware update when I got a similar message as I had been getting before, only this time the Xenon was flashing white instead of magenta. I tried getting it back into setup mode but that does not appear to be possible now. I then tried to use the doctor/upgrade tools in the latest CLI (1.35.2) but evfen though I could get the Xenon into DFU mode I got the following from the CLI:
!!! I was unable to detect any devices in DFU mode…
That’s where I’m at right now and I’m kinda stumped as to what to try now.