Workbench trying to detect DFU mode to long

Workbench waiting for DFU mode to long.

I am creating a Photon project in Workbench. Doing a local flash. When I do my cmd-shift-b then return, the system first
puts the Photon in DFU mode. Sometimes it does this immediately then goes along and compiles, etc. PERFECT.
But about 40% of the other time, it waits and waits for the board to go into DFU mode. It finally gets a high-level JavaScript error
(several lines printed out in red), times out, then finally starts compiling, continues along and works fine.

TimeoutError [VError]
at RequestSender.delay (/Users/markolmstead/.particle/node_modules/particle-cli/node_modules/particle-usb/lib/device.js:106:13)
at /Users/markolmstead/.particle/node_modules/particle-cli/node_modules/particle-usb/lib/device.js:212:17
at async Promise.all (index 0)
at async CLI.runCommand (/Users/markolmstead/.particle/node_modules/particle-cli/dist/app/cli.js:160:7)
at async CLI.run (/Users/markolmstead/.particle/node_modules/particle-cli/dist/app/cli.js:190:14) {
jse_shortmsg: ‘’,
jse_info: {},
}

It seems it gets buggered up when the board tries to detect DFU mode. It puts it in DFU mode ALWAYS, just does not detect this.
Its blinking yellow just fine! Has anyone seen this? Is there a work around or something for this?

it's possible for your firmware to cause the device's USB connection to become unresponsive if for example you have a very busy loop() function. try repeatedly flashing a blank / minimal, known-safe app and see if it behaves differently. if you see the same problematic behavior, here's the standard troubleshooting steps and info we need to help:

in addition to the info listed there, please share the Device OS version your Particle device is currently running and whether or not you are attempting to upgrade / downgrade.