Workbench Login Problem: "operation not permitted"

I am not able to login to Workbench, similar to @jondaddio in his previous post. I perform the following procedure:

Steps:

• Device unplugged, all applications closed
  • Open VS Code, navigate to Workbench
  • Login through command palette
    • Ctrl+Shift+P, “Particle:Login”
    • username & password, 6-digit code is blank

I observe the following results:

Login Result:

There was an error writing [object Object]:  { Error: EPERM: operation not permitted, open 'C:\Users\justi\.particle\particle.config.json'
	at Object.fs.openSync (fs.js:646:18)
	at Object.fs.writeFileSync (fs.js:1299:33)
	at Object.settings.override (C:\Users\justi\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\particle-cli\settings.js:253:6)
	at Promise.resolve.then.then.then.credentials (C:\Users\justi\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\particle-cli\dist\cmd\cloud.js:405:13)
	at <anonymous>
	at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:189:7)
  errno: -4048,
  code: 'EPERM',
  syscall: 'open',
  path: 'C:\\Users\\justi\\.particle\\particle.config.json' }
There was an error writing [object Object]:  { Error: EPERM: operation not permitted, open 'C:\Users\justi\.particle\particle.config.json'
	at Object.fs.openSync (fs.js:646:18)
	at Object.fs.writeFileSync (fs.js:1299:33)
	at Object.settings.override (C:\Users\justi\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\particle-cli\settings.js:253:6)
	at Promise.resolve.then.then.then.credentials (C:\Users\justi\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\particle-cli\dist\cmd\cloud.js:408:14)
	at <anonymous>
	at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:189:7)
  errno: -4048,
  code: 'EPERM',
  syscall: 'open',
  path: 'C:\\Users\\justi\\.particle\\particle.config.json' }
null

- - - -

It appears this is a JSON script permissions error? I have repeated this process with anti-virus, firewall & controlled folder protection disabled and observe the same result, what is the problem here?

Here is the output from Particle: Audit Environment -

Hi,
This issue was marked as resolved but still persists, you had referenced this thread but that didn’t work. I have reviewed this thread and all the references that it made, I have also reinstalled Workbench but the problem still remains.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Justin

Hey @m_m , are you able to check back in on this?

:thinking: hm. isn't this the same issue as reported over here?

the key bit being:

Error: EPERM: operation not permitted, open 'C:\Users\justi\.particle\particle.config.json'

which means the config file (particle.config.json) that the Particle CLI (and by extension, Workbench) uses to login.

this suggestion seemed to do the trick the last time:

hope it helps :+1:

2 Likes

For future record I performed the following:

• Virus & Firewalls disabled
  • Renamed file to ‘particle.config.json.X’
  • Open VS Code as admin
  • Logged in

It works now, thank you! :blush:

3 Likes