I recently had a rather disconcerting behavior with my Photons. I have mine configured with MANUAL system mode and a local WiFi connection without Internet access. They communicate via UDP to a tablet app. Normally my photons breath green but after being off for a week I was surprised to see them blink green and then switch into a fast blue blink as if it was attempting a cloud connection. My app did not appear to run. Here’s the sequence:
- breathing green, all is well (using 2 photons for all below)
- shut down for a week. No change in WiFi credentials.
- power on (external 5V supply)
- fast blink green, then switch to a fast blink blue
- power cycle, reset button exhibit the same behavior, come up blinking green and switch to blue.
- Connect my wifi router to the Internet
- photons start to breath blue
- photons appear to go thru some sort of ‘update’ (based on the LEDS)
- photons reboot on their own and come up breathing green
- photons now communicate via UDP just fine
At no point did I have to enter new WiFi credentials. What is disturbing is the fact that the photons decided they needed to connect to the cloud even though I am using MANUAL system mode. In a real deployment my application would fail if this happened.
For the record, I’m not calling Particle.connect and I normally update my particle application via usb.
Anyone know why the photons are trying to connect to the cloud in MANUAL mode? How do I prevent this from happening in the future?