UWB positioning for photon/argon?

Has anyone ever worked with UWB positioning on the particle platform? I’m looking at something like this, but there’s no activity on the forums. Just wondering if there are limitations on the particle side that would be a non starter, or if nobody has looked into it yet.

https://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=50013&utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=Decawave%20now%20Qorvo&utm_campaign=DWM1000&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtMCKBhDAARIsAG-2Eu8nt84mSFVZPObnnHjUD7MbnV6RsC8fYo9wk6DXpCxlCytQVxcYMpoaAsNqEALw_wcB#Documents

Hu @Mjones -

There are a lot of guys in here that knows a hell-of-a-lot more than I do, so please take what I say with a grain of salt :slight_smile:

My guess would be that the Particle devices do not support UWB technology. It does however support BLE and Wifi, but not sure whether you are going to get the positioning you need from that.

Regards, Friedl.

I ran a few different trials (from a couple different manufacturers) on indoor localization using UltraWideBand a few years ago.
The big disadvantage that wasn’t mentioned in the literature at that time was the inability to deal with ambient noise. My Use Case was inside an Industrial setting. Things like a pneumatic tool can cause havoc.

Noise might not be a problem for your project(s), but I would have saved a lot of time, effort, money, etc, knowing that limitation in the early stages of development.

1 Like

I knew they didn’t on their own, I was curious if there were any restrictions on using the DWM1000 along with Particle. GPS isn’t accurate enough and other technologies claim <5cm accuracy, but cost a thousand or more for one setup.