Using Asset Tracker Kit as an Asset Tracker Immediately?

Hi all, I searched the community posts, but couldn’t find an answer, so I’m posting my question here…

Is it possible to use the Asset Tracker out-of-the-box with sample or pre-existing code as a simple asset tracker

I’m interested in tinkering around with it myself in the future, but was hoping to put it together and throw it in an important box I’m shipping almost immediately for tracking. The only functionality I’m looking for is latitude / longitude reported on regular intervals and about 4 weeks of battery life with the included battery.

Thanks!

I was expecting a really "exotic" question, since there are tons of thread dealing with the basic AssetTracker features

The first place to search might be here
https://docs.particle.io/datasheets/kits-and-accessories/particle-shields/#asset-tracker-library

Or have a look at the more up-to-date AssetTrackerRK library by @rickkas7.

Both libraries come with out-the-box examples.

2 Likes

Battery life depends on update frequency (amongst other things), and 4 weeks may or may not work for you, depending on how you set it up.
What's the use-case?

Thanks for the help!

I’m shipping all my belongings cross country and want to know where the truck is during the trip. Location updates 2-3 times times per day would be fine. Do you think the battery would last 4 weeks on that interval?