Unable to use USBSerial for Raspberrypi

I’m trying to communicate through the /dev/ttyUSB0 on the raspberrypi. I’ve tried using Serial and Serial1 but not getting any data coming through nor can I transmit from. I’ve verified that the com port does work by installing and using “minicom” on the raspberrypi at /dev/ttyUSB0 with a baud of 19200 and default all other settings which I have also set in the code.
Here is my example code:

String dataLine = "Start";

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(19200);
  Particle.publish("serialdata", dataLine, PUBLIC);
}

void loop() {
  // send data only when you receive data:
  char c;
  int index;
  index = 0;

while (Serial.available() > 0) {
       // read the incoming byte:
       c = Serial.read();
       dataLine.setCharAt(index, c);
  }
  if(index>0){
      Particle.publish("serialdata", dataLine, PUBLIC);
  }
}

ping @jvanier

Hi @craigmac, as far as I am aware this is a highly desired feature that is still under development. This has been discussed on this thread previously.

I have also tried to use the serial pins on the gpio with no success in Particle firmware whatsoever.

The default Serial.println to a “virtual serial port” on the Raspberry Pi itself, not external pins. You can view the output of Serial.println with particle-agent serial in a terminal window on the Pi.

As for real UART printing, I know it’s on the top of the wish list for many people. Thanks for your patience.

1 Like

Thanks @nrobinson2000 and @jvanier. I had suspicion that this was the case but just wanted to check. Looking forward to this application!