Tutorial and examples - Ideas/wish list

Dear all,
What about collecting ideas and wish lists from all users for the next tutorials and examples to be published?
Maybe also experienced users willing to help, can have a starting point for creating these and contribute…

Here some ideas just came in my mind:

• How to read and send command to the Core (some kind of serial monitor over the Cloud)
  • How to use an LCD
  • How to log data (maybe using an external service such as xively)
  • How to interact with the time (for schedule events or trigger thing)

What do you think?
Thank you,
dk

5 Likes

Love this idea @d82k, thanks for getting it started!

Thanks @d82k, yes please share your ideas for tutorials!

Also, if you do something that you think is worth sharing, keep in mind that our documentation is open source, and we welcome contributions to our ‘annotated examples’ page!

This is great! I’d love some more tutorials as my experience with microcontrollers is limited.
I’d like a tutorial on recreating the spark socket. I was very disappointed when your goal wasn’t reached for the socket.
If somebody doesn’t get there before me I’ll post what I come up with. I’ll probably make it to be used in place of a switch rather than installed at the socket.

Micah

ps. Hi Zach and Steph!! I’m super excited to start playing with my cores!

Hi Guys,

I think the topic “How to log data” is very interesting.

For example specific Questions:

• How can the core collect messurement-data in the flash memory. This is usefull when the wlan conection is down.
  • What is the best way to send this data to the server. Can I do this with spark.variables?
1 Like

My wish: Developing for Spark Core with Aptana IDE www.aptana.com

I use Aptana Studio 3 for php development and it can do C/C++ as well.

My success so far:

I installed C++ Deveopment Tools from http://download.eclipse.org/tools/cdt/releases/helios (suitable für Aptana 3.6.2) to get syntax highlighting and outline.

Instead of C-Perspektive I run web perspective to get a terminal where I can run make and dfu-util.

Happy New Year,

Frido.

We’ve gotten many new users on the forum in the past 30 days - any additional ideas/requests for certain tutorials, screencasts and videos?

Thanks all - we’re still a small team so your input really helps us prioritize our time!

I’m mostly interested in battery powered applications, so I would be interested in seeing example code how to use sleep and deep sleep modes effectively and safely.

I would assume it could work by putting the core to sleep for a certain time period while enabling an interrupt vector, so that it could still wake up with an external interrupt assigned to one of the pins during sleep. If nothing triggered any operation, it would have to allow a way to stop the sleep cycle somehow. Otherwise the core would effectively be bricked, sleeping forever, or? How to do this all safely all things considering?

Does it work the same way as with Arduino? Do all the pins support this function? Does the core support this?

4 Likes

This would be a good question for @mohit or @satishgn about the sleep aspect, hopefully they can weigh in

A step-by-step tutorial on how to program the core offline and to keep it running w/o wifi access for absolute beginners.

4 Likes

I like the idea of connecting to Arduino or similar to control an RC car and see a camera.

2 Likes

I think there should be three levels of tutorials in the documentation.

For people like me, ultra beginner tutorials. (in the docs for the cloud API there are things like parsing the args for the “brew” function, and I need examples where I can just change variable names and it will work. I’m not great with just writing code to parse an input sting like that). For people who are a bit more experience more project oriented examples like tweeting, data logging, low power, and offline access. For experienced users more advanced things like ??? (I’m not experienced enough to know what would be helpful here, maybe interrupts?).

I’m not sure how to organize them best on the docs website, but separating the beginner stuff from the advanced stuff would be great for beginners like me. 95% of my “programming” arduinos and sparks are taking preexisting functions and pasting them together in one file.

3 Likes

Hi, I have an idea for the tutorial which i cant found on this forum :

What if we make a reading to meter ( rs485 /modbus kWH meter / electric meter) connect to the spark core via its rx tx communication and the spark core will connect to internet so we can see the real time value of the energy via web.
I already saw the example spark core can be monitored via web, but it was only value from analog input.

Can be the spark core connected to rs485/modbus devices ? Are there any RS485/modbus library ?

@djun I believe it’s pretty possible since there’s already existing libraries for the Modbus on Arduino.

Porting it over might take a little while but it’s UART base so shouldn’t be too difficult.

Maybe we should have a Modbus shield? :smiley:

I would like to see a tutorial on the new “Spark.publish()” feature.

Thanks,
Col

1 Like

Hi @Bradders

I put a simple tutorial together last night on using the new Spark.publish feature. You can find it here:

1 Like

kennethlimcp, the port would take me less than an hour from what I can see. However, as you pointed out, a RS485/RS232 converter is needed to connect to modbus.

@djun, if there is interest, I will port the library. :smile:

1 Like

Hi Guys,

“English isn’t my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.”

I Would love to see an tutorial on the NetIO Controller Application Link working with the spark core. With NetIO you can create a custom remote for your project without coding Java or Obj-C.

Both iOS AppStore and Android Google Play store

Here a short overview of the functionality’s

In my opinion the spark core app is too limited. I love the idea of changing the button labels, dimensions, posision and color. And making a custom remote for my spark core.

@peekay123 wow i would love to see what changes you need to make to do a successful port!

Definitely gonna learn stuff out of it :smile:

My attempt to port over this library ended up with adding another required header. (crc16.h)

The crc16.h didn’t give me any error message. Also, it requires #include <stdint.h>and the IDE didn’t mentioned it’s not found.

Only errors are coming from the ModbusMaster.cpp with some variables not declared in this scope.

I guess it can be fixed pretty fast!

@bko WOW, thanks!!!

Another request is a tutorial on sending iOS notifications via PushOver.net

Thanks,
Col