Taoglas MFX3 Antenna vs. FXUB63

boron
cellular
electron
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fe22b1dba90> #<Tag:0x00007fe22b1db8b0> #<Tag:0x00007fe22b1db6f8>

I was browsing through Documentation today and realized that the product photo of the Boron has a Taoglas MX3 antenna connected to it. I was curious, so I looked up the antenna and it’s specific to NB IoT and Cat M1 bands.

Has anyone tested these antennas side-by-side and noticed any improvement on the MX3 over the FXUB63 on a Boron or E Series LTE?

@fishmastaflex it looks like the only one certified with the Boron is the FXUB63.07.0150C.

Comparing the two datasheets, they appear to be about the same. There are some differences though…

Comparing the peak gain across the different bands tells a different story. With that said, the performance improvements you see will be provider dependent. (i.e. it depends on what band your provider uses.) This may require some extra leg work on your end to figure that part out.

The FXUB63.07.0150C performs better in most cases though. That likely why they likely ended up choosing it over the MFX3.07.

I noticed that as well.

But setting certification aside, here’s the thing…AT&T is Particle’s primary provider for CAT M1, which runs specifically on Bands 2, 4, and 12. The Taoglas MFX3 antenna has higher peak and average gain values exactly in those same frequency bands when compared to the FXUB63. Both antennas are the same form factor. I’m sure the FXUB63 was safer to go with for future compatibility reasons.

That being said, I’m still interested if there are any noticeable signal improvements when using the MFX3 on a Boron. I might just have to buy one and try it out!