Step-by-Step for SoftAP setup?

I’m very new to this. Basically I am working for someone who wants to use the photon to make their own network. He said he doesn’t want to be using the cloud to control the devices connected to the photon. However, I can use a normal home wifi network that is simply not connected to the internet. From what I’ve read, it’s possible to make it so the photon acts as an access point and devices can connect to its and subsequently be controlled. Can anyone can give me step-by-step of how to do this?

The Photons SoftAP mode is for setting up the photon / connecting it to your WiFi. You cannot “control” the photon in this state (Listening Mode).

What you are searching for is using HTTP Server / Client which allows you to control the photon via TCP or UDP without using the Cloud functions.

To be extra clear, there are/were plans (last I checked) for you to be able to control SoftAP but, at the moment, that feature hasn’t been released. Most likely it’ll be something like:

WiFi.softAP("SSID","Password",SECURITY_TYPE) and then you’ll be able to use TCP Client and Server just like normal (though you won’t have cloud functionality obviously)

1 Like

@smnnekho could you elaborate on it a little more on the HTTP Server/ client or give me a link explaining how to do this? Thank you so much!

Check out:

HTTPClient Github

you also find this great library in the webIDE. the Testcode will get you started and if you search the forum for HTTPclient / Server you will find plenty of discussions and examples.

If you’ll tell us more about you usecase we might be able to point you in the right direction.