Spark keeps flashing green

I’m trying to use my Sparkcore for the first time, but it’s not the first time the sparkcore has been used - I lent it to a friend to play around with first. I think he’s “released” the sparkcore from his account but he’s not positive. I have the app on my Nexus 5. When I powered the sparkcore I held the button in 10 seconds to clear everything. Now it flashes blue, then flashes green. On my phone I tried to connect with via the app, but after it tries for a while, the app says it can’t find any spark cores. I verified the SSID in the app is the same as the one my phone is connected too. Any suggestions?

Hi @scott216,

We’ve heard that some users have had trouble using the Smart Config process on a nexus phone. You can optionally turn off the 5Ghz band on your access point, or try the other setup steps. We have a great troubleshooting guide here:

http://docs.spark.io/troubleshooting/#troubleshooting

Thanks!
David

I don’t have 5Ghz turned on. It is turned on for a different network, but I’m not using that one; could that cause a problem? Does my phone initially connect to the sparkcore via bluetooth? Should I see it listed as a bluetooth device? Also, there is no password on my network.

Hi @scott216,

If you don’t have 5Ghz on, that certainly helps, and bluetooth isn’t used, so you wouldn’t see it listed there. I think maybe the Nexus phones don’t like doing Smart config with the core. Can you try setting up over serial?

http://docs.spark.io/connect/#connecting-your-core-connect-over-usb

If you have the spark-cli installed, that’s even easier!

then:
spark setup

Thanks!
David

I connected over USB and got my ID and put in my wifi info. And I got the breathing cyan LED, so that’s good. I went into the online IDE ad added my core using the ID I got. Then I did the deep update. So now I can flash the led sample program. But on my phone it still says no cores found when I try to connect.

2 Likes

Hi @scott216,

Usually that means the email address you typed into your phone was different than the one you used on the build IDE. Can you try logging out on your phone and logging back in, and make sure your accounts match?

Thanks!
David

In the online IDE my email address is misspelled. That sounds like the problem. How can I fix the spelling?

Hi @scott216,

The easiest way is to login to that account, and release your cores, and then create a new account with the right spelling, and re-claim them there.

Thanks!
David

That worked, thanks. I got my phone to communicate with the core now.

1 Like