Spark Core not recognized via USB in Ubuntu 12.04

For some reason my core isn't recognized by ubuntu. After initially trying the screen /dev/ttyACM0 9600 command, it fails with output "Cannot exec '/dev/ttyACM0': No such file or directory"

The Connecting your Core page suggests you "poke around" if that location is not recognized...

So I then followed @PaulRB's method to find out which /dev location the core was listening on, but nothing changed in the sdiff output, i.e. the core is not a recognized device..?

I have previously connected my core via the android app and I will try again, however, I would like to connect the core to my pc. Any help is greatly appreciated....

What code/firmware is currently flashed to the core? If it’s custom code try re-flashing tinker using the android app and see if it shows up then

Try putting the core into listening mode (push mode for 3 seconds) as that turns the serial port on to listen for a ssid and password…

I’m not sure that tinker opens one

2 Likes

Hi @quoudten,

Make sure your firmware has serial open, or try tinker in listening mode :slight_smile: Sometimes on linux it might not show up as an ACM serial device, but a /dev/cuaU... device instead.

Thanks,
David

You are correct. My mistake. Tinker only opens a serial port in listening mode, not while connected to the wifi.

@quoudten, put the core into listening mode as @Hootie81 suggests and see if it doesn’t show up. Also, @Dave is usually right :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks for all the responses, I ended up resetting the memory and the firmware to default and trying again.

Now, I can place the Core into listening mode and access it via USB and enter the network settings. However, now I can’t seem to “claim” the core, I’ve tried resetting a couple times and doing it all over again, but the Build site still says it “Could not claim core.”

Anyone have any idea why I can’t claim my Core now?

Would you mind shooting an email to hello@spark.io so we can look into it? Please try to include your core’s ID so we can figure out what’s up

Alright, will do.