[SOLVED] Electron high frequency flashing in cyan

ScruffR – good idea for a test! The problem follows the SIM!

With the SIM swap, the “good electron” is now “bad” and vise-versa.

Jeff

2 Likes

@reza, @JeffInCO, @jimmies & @jobsight

Particle has just confirmed that there is an issue with some SIMs and you’ll get a replacement SIM.
But for this to happen, you’d have to get in contact with support (I’m sorry for the double work, if you already did) and ask for the replacement SIM.
You can reference this post and also mention that Brett (aka BDub) and Mat (aka mdma) have already confirmed the problem.

To be sure that this actually is your individual issue try swapping your SIMs for one of a working device (if you have one).

3 Likes

How do I get Particle to respond though, to get a SIM replacement? I’ve had an open support ticket on this for weeks now :frowning:

I will be creating a new one with refs to this thread …

As I said

And if you look at the likes on my post, you'll see that Particle's very own BDub has taken notice of that and will take care that this will work this time.

Thank you very much @ScruffR. I filed the support ticket with the details you mentioned. I do appreciate your and everyone else’s help …

1 Like

I hope you will hear back from Particle soon, although there might be some additional delay since a lot of them folks are busy at Bay Area Maker Faire (and I can’t be there :weary:)

1 Like

Yes, thanks very much everyone… It sounds like we have a solution. I’ve gone ahead and made a request for two new SIM cards. I’m confident that this will resolve the issue.

2 Likes

I heard back from support. With an apology and a link for replacement form. I am happy now!

I wonder I should close this thread or wait for the replacement and confirm that it is working properly.

2 Likes

My opinion is to wait until replacements arrive, then close the thread.

With that said… I, too, would like to thank all who helped!

1 Like

Confirmed! The new SIM card works. I lost my promotional 3 months, but it is OK. I am super excited about the platform and its possibilities …

Thank you very much everyone for the help and support .

Cheers,
Reza

I'd guess Particle might have some ways, if you wouldn't mind following up on this with support.
After all, it wasn't your fault :wink:

1 Like

Hi all, I have an electron that was working fine for some months (3 months???) but now is flashing cyan. My credit card payment details seem fine, but after initially connecting and breathing cyan it starts to flash after a little wait. It looks like it is not on the networkd, really strange.

Could I have the issue with a damaged SIM/ wrong SIM even after a few months of successful operation?

It might be a sim issue. @Bdub?

If it breathes cyan initially after a hard reset/power up… it could be something with your app blocking the background tasks. The keepAlive() needs to happen every 23 minutes to ensure it stays connected. Try safe mode and see if it stays connected with that. Also how long does it take before it starts blinking cyan?

@hansamann did you get this resolved? Hope so!

I have the very same problem.
I was able to setup and send data to the cloud the same day I got the Electron, but then the high frequency cyan - 1 blink red - repeat cycle started to happen. Nothing seems to work. I’ve tried every solution that I’ve found (upgrade firmware, try different programs, keys/device doctor, unclaim/claim my device…) but I’m always stuck at the same cycle. The web-console doesn’t update my last handshake with the device.

I have not tried with another SIM since I don’t have one, but did I understand correctly that there was something wrong with the SIM card?

Here’s a YouTube clip demonstrating the behaviour (yes, the LiPo battery is fully charged): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxlB1YNEXI0

Does the same happen in Safe Mode?
It’s hard to tell with the shutter strobe effect whether the cyan phase isn’t actually breathing at some point before the red blink.

It could be a SIM problem. The best way to find out for sure is to get a cloud debug log and then submit it as a support ticket. Once you make the initial submission, you get an auto-reply by email. Just reply to that with the attachment. Make sure your log includes the SIM ICCID and device ID at the top, as those are necessary too.

1 Like

Sorry about the poor video, but it certainly doesn’t look like breathing to me.
I tried Safe Mode, and it kind of got a little further.

It would blink green for a while (~1min, looking for internet), blink white once and then start with green blinking again. I let it do that for a couple of rounds and then it started to breathe cyan. However, it breathes cyan for about a minute and then starts the whole process again.

I hope this isn’t just a case of bad cellular coverage… but I still find it strange that the web-console hasn’t updated the latest handshake date. I managed to send a ping from the web-console while it was breathing without success.

Now that I think of it, it kind of looks like a blue-colored breathing but I can’t really tell. Maybe it’s having trouble connecting to a cellular tower. Do you know if this is an expected behaviour? That is, the alternation between green and blue color?