[SOLVED] Can't activate and claim my core

Thanks for the video(s). It really helps.

Wow. OK. That last set of symptoms is something else again. Never seen anything like that. The LED is blinking much more rapidly than for the usual connection error reports. It’s usually more like a 1/4 or 1/2 second cadence. What you’re seeing there seems much more ‘erratic’ and strange. Plus, the yellow color indicates bootloader mode, which AFAIK should never happen on its own, unless something is badly wrong.

I’m fresh out of ideas at the moment. It’s looking now to me like something may be physically wrong with your 'core, unfortunately.

That looks like you have a bad key, hopefully you should get a response soon from hello@spark.io, we can fix that up for you. Otherwise @Dave can help you with this one. Apologies for the inconvenience!

This is a relatively uncommon symptom that basically means that we don’t have the Core’s key stored in our database. It typically happens because of an issue on the manufacturing line - somehow the Core’s key doesn’t get uploaded to our servers from the manufacturing line. Every manufacturing run we’re streamlining the process so this happens less frequently, but unfortunately there are still a few that get through each time. But don’t worry, we’ll make it right!

Hi @ciukes,

Looks like you have the Spark CLI, you can repair your keys with:

#connect your core in DFU mode (hold both buttons, release reset, continue to hold mode until it blinks yellow)

spark keys doctor your_core_id

edit: I don’t know why it’s bolding the comments like that… :confused:

Thanks!
David

That does seem to align with the other problem I thought I found. Writing the new server public key changed the behaviour from rapid cyan to rapid yellow flashing. So I’m picking that this 'core didn’t get any keys stored in its Flash at all, at the factory. Hopefully then, this last piece of the puzzle will get @ciukes on track.

@zach / @kennethlimcp … In the meantime, perhaps the docs need to be updated to include these presently undocumented rapid/erratic cyan or yellow flashing meanings? I see no mention of them anywhere at present. Am I wrong?

1 Like

Actually it is listed in the docs:

http://docs.spark.io/troubleshooting/#troubleshoot-by-color-flashing-orange-red-yellow

spark keys doctor your_core_id and …

taaaamdaaaaammmmdaaaaaammm :slight_smile:
https://vine.co/v/ME2VnpZ1pZ2

I owe each of you a beer. Ping me when visiting London :smile:

4 Likes

@kennethlimcp … I recall you are largely involved with the docs side of things. This doesn’t seem to warrant a pull request from me . What do you think? …

Yeah … well, but nah, not really. The phrase “flashing yellow/red/orange lights after it connects to Wi-Fi” does not sufficiently describe what we were seeing, IMHO. I read all this previously, of course and I suspect from his comments above that the OP did, too. Yet we both failed to interpret that description as matching what we were seeing.

How about, “My core is rapidly flashing yellow, red or orange after connecting to WiFi”?

I have never seen a 'core flashing “yellow/red/orange” before and I doubt I ever will. :stuck_out_tongue:

The devil is in the details.

Fair enough - how did you perceive the color?

There’s two perspectives on that.

From the perspective of trying to find documentation on “rapid flashing yellow” or “rapid flashing cyan” (previously), the text “flashing yellow/red/orange” simply didn’t match.

In hindsight, “flashing yellow/…” is a match. But for whatever reason, I read that more as, “flashing yellow, then red, then orange, repeating”, at the time. Plus, I was originally looking for the rapid, “cyan”, so later ignored the non-matching text that I’d already parsed previously and filtered out of possible matches.’

The use of fast (but not as fast) flashing yellow for DFU mode confused the issue, also. The flashing is slower for DFU mode. I had seldom seen the much faster and more erratic looking flashing that occurs with bad keys and even then, only cyan (bad server public key) which is not in the list, “yellow/red/orange”. So again, no match.

I guess it was more about how I perceived the, “flashing yellow/red/orange” description to not match – reasons to exclude it – than reasons to consider it a possible match, if that makes sense.

Thanks for asking. :smile: