RGB Pixel Clock Kit (Maker Faire 2016)

Still have any available? Would love to get one shipped to the US.

@mspiels, yes I have several still available!

@mspiels, got the money. Iā€™ll ship tomorrow morning :wink:

If we want to put three together, how do we daisy chain them?

2 Likes

Youā€™d just need one shield, and hook the panels up with ribbon cables ([Shield on fist IN -> OUT] -> [IN -> OUT] -> [IN - OUT open]) and supply voltage to each of the panels.
And set the ā€œscreenā€ width accordingly - if you donā€™t, youā€™ll just get a cloned display.

1 Like

@avidan, @ScruffR is correct. The shield power connector can handle 5 Amps so it will not be enough to power all panels. As such, each panel will need its own power with a common power GND shared between panels. The display width can be set when you create the RGBMatrixPanel ojbect:

RGBmatrixPanel matrix(A, B, C, D,CLK, LAT, OE, true, 96); // 96 wides x 32 high

Panel refresh rate will be impacted. Let me know how it works if you try it! :yum:

1 Like

awesome! where is the best place to buy more panels and power supplies

@avidan, Particle has a bunch in stock (80 or so) that they have not put up in the store. Iā€™m sure they could sell you some if you ask! These are the Maker Faire 2016 RGB Matrix Panel kits. :wink:

And the longer ribbon to connect panels? or are they some standard cable?

Seems like a regular 8x2 ribbon cable.

2 Likes

Hey there ā€“ I was wondering what the arrows are for on the back of the panels? Iā€™ve mounted them with the arrows facing downwards, is that okay or will I need to do something to rotate the display? Thanks!

I believe theyā€™re supposed to point upwards, which would give you the 0,0 at the top left corner. If mounted differently, youā€™ll have to adjust for that in code. Rotating the panel might be easier, if possible :slight_smile:

1 Like

Folks, I updated the RGBPixelClock library in the IDE to add a new rainbow clock. Enjoy!

No photos?

A tree fell in the forrestā€¦

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@BulldogLowell, your tough dude :sweat:

2 Likes

why the common GND?

and can i use a depopulated shield to go from barrel jack to 4 connector? even if there is no particle mounted?

this thing is AMAZING @peekay, you rock.

before we share what we have built, is there a way to upload an image to scroll? whats the easiest way to get it scrolling using your example firmware?

1 Like

@avidan, Iā€™m assuming you answered the first two questions for yourself (?). @Dave wrote some code for Maker Fair for the slot machine simulation that did some cool scrolling. Essentially, he created an image buffer in RAM which he then ā€œtranslatedā€ to the display buffer to create the effect. I canā€™t seem to find his code but maybe he can hear my call :smirk:

If you callā€¦ I will answerā€¦

Hereā€™s the code for the roulette screens:

Hereā€™s the code for the triggering button:

This app reads a handful of images from the SD card, arranges them into a buffer, and then when it receives the triggering message / event, will spin with a nice easing function. Itā€™s meant to be used on 1+ displays all right next to eachother, and the message is meant to contain the final position each screen should land at.

The button controls the game, and decides semi-randomly if it should generate a winning outcome, and the chances of winning get better as you approach the end of the game time period.

Enjoy! :slight_smile:
David

6 Likes