Product default firmware

Hi All,

Is there a way to remove a product default firmware, or at least remove it from being the product default firmware?

I want to add new devices to the product but prevent them from taking the current product default firmware. Eventually I will release a new product default, but until then is their a way to deactivate the product default firmware?

I know I could work around this by using groups perhaps, but I am onboarding and flashing firmware to devices using the CLI tools, and as far as I am aware there isn't a way to add a device to a product group using the particle CLI tool.

There does not appear to be a way to remove product default firmware once assigned. Also I'm not sure device groups would solve this issue. While you can choose a group to flash to, you can't set a product default for a group, so when you add a new device to the group, it won't get the firmware you last flashed the the group.

I think the best way to handle this is to create product firmware for the new devices, then when you add the device, also lock product firmware to that device so it does not get the product default. The Particle CLI doesn't have a command for that, either, however. Using curl or node is the best workaround.

Another option is to create a separate holding product for your new devices, then move them in bulk to the original product when you're ready to use them.

Hi Rick,

Ok thanks a million

1 Like