Add ability to delete old firmware releases

Right now, if I try to delete previously “released” firmware from the Particle I can’t because

Firmware can be deleted before it is first released.

Which I think is a back-end web developer’s way of saying:

Firmware can **not** be deleted if it has previously been designated as a group/product release version

How come I can’t delete these old (unused) firmware versions.

They have been clogging up our firmware page and just generally making things confusing for our employees who are trying to manage device firmware updates because we have to scroll down and hunt for the most up-to-date firmware versions.

PLEASE change this so that I can clean up. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hello,

I understand your frustration. You’re only able to delete firmware if it has never been released before.

1 Like

@lanceseidman Maybe a better answer could be - we are looking at adding that feature to the particle console backlog?
I manage 11 products and for some that have been released for 4 years there is quite a history (long tail) of released versions that are no longer in use on any devices. It would be very handy to be able to tidy up the firmware versions that are no longer installed - surely there isn’t an integrity issue with deleting these?

2 Likes

I'll join in on this. It would be nice to at least have better tools to manage the firmware uploads. It would be great to have separate folders or something, because I have a handful of actual releases, and then something like sixty or seventy 'test and development' releases. I've deleted a lot of those just because the list was getting too long, but that's not ideal either. I mean, if nothing else you could have the option to delete releases that don't actually have any devices using them anymore, or something along those lines? Or heck, just file the releases under the tags they're released under or something along those lines. Basically,

I understand your frustration. You’re only able to delete firmware if it has never been released before.

sounds more like 'I don't actually consider it a problem because I'm not managing a huge whack of releases, and I can't be arsed to consider that it's a problem for other people...' This has been bothering me for quite some time, and it's obviously an issue for others as well.

1 Like

Whoa! If a new post after 2 years isn’t an indication that this is a significant pain point, I don’t know what is!

Hello,

So, the ability to delete firmware does exist but with certain conditions. If the firmware was ever released, this would be one reason why it can’t be removed, even if it’s no longer being used and/or in the wild.

You’ll see the delete button Grayed out if you’re unable to perform said request, otherwise you should be good to delete.

Hello,

I am not a product manager at Particle, so I don’t have such capabilities or authority to make changes to our features. That said, the delete button exists but with conditions.

The conditions may not be what you’re hoping for, I can apperciate that, I understand the struggle and this has been passed on to those with such powers who can drive this message but some progress has been made, as this option didn’t exist last year. Hopefully this desired outcome will be reconsidered.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.