Powering Options for Electron Asset Tracker V2

I am using my electron without a battery and I have been able to successfully put together a temporary wall outlet and cigarette lighter(from a vehicle) power supply that works great with the 5V-12V input supply.

Does anyone have a more permanent solution than this?

Are there any adapter pieces I can purchase that can be soldered on to change this input supply to a quick disconnect?

Thanks

Let me ping someone that might be able to help, @rickkas7 or @ParticleD are you able to assist?

I answered this on May 30 in a support ticket that Jaired opened that day. Here’s the gist of my answers in the thread:

“Just be careful that your 12VDC source is only putting out twelve volts. Most unloaded or lightly loaded DC power supplies put out more than 12V (13.8V comes to mind for some reason). I am not sure how resistant the Electron is to >12V but that’s the max voltage that we recommend.”

“Why not just use one of those “accessory” (cigarette lighter, back in the old days) USB chargers to power the Asset Tracker board? e.g. something shown here. And of course, most newer vehicles have at least one of those built-in (my 2015 Nissan Murano has four).”

“You might findthis interesting, re: powering stuff from a car’s electrical system. I think the USB adapter I recommended is the most cost-efficient and simple way to go. Just use a high-quality, brand name’d one.”

cheers,
ParticleD

1 Like