Portable Photons with OTG cables and tethering

Hey folks! Someone reminded me that I mentioned this hack in Particle Interactions a while back, so here it is!

My favorite way to demo Photons is to supply them with power and internet from my phone. The trick’s to get an OTG adapter which will plug into your phone and give you a full size female USB port, and then plug your regular ol’ micro USB cable into the OTG cable. This will let you power your Photon off the cellphone’s battery, but you’ll still need internet. No problem! Most phones now allow you to hotspot or tether, so you can create your own WiFi network for the Photon to connect to. Your phone becomes a cellular modem for the Photon.

So, for a few bucks’ worth of OTG adapter cable and a little setup, you now have a fully portable Photon rig. If you see me giving a talk, that’s usually what I have.

Caveat: I think this only works with Android phones.

2 Likes

@Dick where it is? :wink:

@kennethlimcp are ya asking for a photo of the setup, or a link to the part? These are the ones in my bag: http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Micro-Cable-Cellphone-Tablet/dp/B00AYPEL56/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1448417317&sr=8-3&keywords=otg

2 Likes