i am building something inspired by this as a christmas present for my family. (will share of course when done)
the 3 prototypes are working fine so far (not yet in “lamp form”).
Since i will give these lamps away to “not so technical persons” as well and i dont want them to claim their photons (they wont even know what that means) i still need to give them the possibility to connect to their WiFi of course.
Here are my plans, and i would appreciate some advice if this makes no sense or there is a better way to do this.
- The Photons are in Semi-Automatic Mode and the Status LED is mirrored to the whole lamp (see here)
- If there is no (Cloud) Connection in like 30 Seconds, automatically switch to listening mode (WiFi.Listen())
- Make my own android app like the SDK Setup example for WiFi Connection Setup
- Leave out all the Claiming and Tinkering Stuff.
- The only way i can think this is possible would be to HARDCODE my credentials in the Android App. Not sure if that would be such a good idea (and i dont know if it is even possible to do it that way. i am also not yet really comfortable with Java/Android since i am more of a .net Coder.
- Bonus: Of course some friends and coworkers i showed the prototypes are also interested - so in case i build & maintain more of them i also have to think about a possibility to define “groups” of devices or even let the user do this.
- I am not yet ready for upgrading my account - 49$ per month for a christmas present on top of the devices itself is not really negotiable to my wife (-; - this wouldnt help me with WiFi Setup anyways i guess.
EDIT: Now that i wrote all this down it comes to my mind that i probably wont need any credentials at all for the (already claimed by me) photons in the android app just for softAP WiFi setup.