Photon to Electron pin compatibility

I am working on a project where the device will connect via WiFi using a Photon, but it would be nice to be able to optionally install an ‘Electron’ in its place using the same PCB, so I can make the same device but with a cellular option. So I am wondering if the function of the pins on the Electron will match the pins on the Photon.
In other words, I would like to layout the board for an “Electron” and be able to use a “Photon”, and just ignore the extra “Electron” pins. Will the pin functions match up?

Yes, I believe so that the photon/electron will be interchangable with the common pins pin-compatible. @satishgn will know for sure.

1 Like

Great! Now if we can have a footprint we can start making dual use PCBs with Electron in mind.

With imminent release of the electron in the next couple of weeks can you reconfirm that the statement below is still true:

“I would like to layout the board for an “Electron” and be able to use a “Photon”, and just ignore the extra “Electron” pins. Will the pin functions match up?layout the board for an “Electron” and be able to use a “Photon”, and just ignore the extra “Electron” pins. Will the pin functions match up?”

I am looking at using the SparkFun series of shields.

Thanks for any updated information you can provide.

Yes, also interested in this - any updates, guys? @satishgn @mdma
Thanks.

The same microcontroller is used in the Photon and Electron, with the same microcontroller pins mapped to the same header pins, so yes you can use the Electron with a board made for the Photon as long as there is no mechanical interference (there are 18 pins per side instead of 12 pins per side).