Photon setup flashing cyan with a "quick red burst" (now orange burst) [Solved]

I’ve scanned through the above, but I can’t seem to even get my RedBear Duo to enter DFU mode. I’ve tried both my laptop usb and a power pack.

See the attached video:https://youtu.be/s9_RiPvJ_BU.

I am definitely holding both, then release reset, then holding setup for over 30s…

Also in this state I can’t connect to it via the serial connection, and I am yet to claim it on the Particle cloud.

Am I missing something fundamental here?

Cheers

(Apologies for the audio - yes it is “The Last Samurai” - Soundtrack Suite (Hans Zimmer))

You need to take the device out of that anti static sponge!
These spunges are slightly conductive and can cause some “short circuits” conditions that definetly interfere and possibly even damage your device.

1 Like

Ah thanks, novice error there

that seems to have done it actually. Took it out the damaging anti-static sponge and now its happy

Thanks

1 Like

@ScruffR False positive, it went blue and allowed me to re-enter wifi details which I did, now back to the same issue with no DFU mode

Does the RGB pattern still look the same as in your video?
I haven’t a lot of experience with RedBear Duo but you can file a support ticket at support.particle.io

Meanwhile can you share another video.
With original Particle devices you could send the device into DFU Mode from Listening Mode via a setting a magic baudrate (14400) from the host - not sure if this is also possible on the Duo.

Here are two more videos showing the reset process again.

Ill have a look at the above suggestion @ScruffR

Could it be that the SETUP button is defective?

Potentially but luckily I bought two and they are both experiencing the same problem.

Unless I have two duds… I suppose I could have potentially short circuited the buttons on both of them given my earlier blunder

Apologies but this will be the least comprehensive resolution steps ever.

1. Managed to get the things to reset and wipe wifi credentials by holding and the rest and setup buttons until blue light came back.
  2. In this state I checked thje firmware and both devices were on 0.3.1, whereas the latest firmware is 0.3.3

On to DFU mode…

1. I had to unplug the device from my laptop USB. Using a power bank I had to hold both buttons down with a pair of wooden chopsticks then plug in the power bank.
  2. Releasing the reset button but not setup I found that I was able to get it into DFU mode… Finally…
  3. Once achieved on the power bank I switched back to the usb ports on my laptop and repeated the step 4…
  4. I checked the connection through the serial montior in the arduino IDE and used the IDE environment to run the burner which updated the firmware.

Now they both finally work and are connected to the Particle Cloud…

Going to go lie down for a bit ready for round 2 tomorrow

1 Like

Hey! I have been trying to troubleshoot this problem as well on my new Argon Board. I had it successfully connected but when I flash code to it, then I enter the fast cyan blinking with a red blink loop.

I have been going through this thread and tried several things, however, I always get stuck at this part:

C:\Users\Owner>particle keys server cloud_public.der
Please specify a server key in DER format.

And I am not sure what to do from here, I am hoping that once I do this part right, the Argon will be back and running correctly!

Thanks!