Photon Setup Fail last step "verify device ownership" fail

When setting up, 5 steps:

configure wi-fi credentials PASS
connect to wi- fi network PASS
wait for device cloud connection PASS
check for internet connectivity PASS
verify device ownership FAIL

Then get a “Setup failed” that it “failed at claiming my particle device”. Sometimes the device then blinks green, meaning “I have provided wrong wi-fi credentials”, according to the message. The only credentials I have provided was my wi-fi password and I have tried both my ascii and hexadecimal. It ssems to connect ok (step 2 above).

Other times it continues to breath blue.

I have set up a particle account, but was never asked to “claim my device” so I don’t know if I have or not.

Using latest Particle App. Photon device does not have the capability of connecting to a computer via usb. The device was built for Coop Tender.

In the past, all CoopTender devices were claimed to their account, not yours, so you’d normally set up Wi-Fi only, not claim the device. I’m not sure if that’s still the case, however.

You mentioned entering your Wi-Fi password in hex. That probably means you are using WEP, and there are WEP configuration instructions instructions that must be followed or it won’t work. If you only get to blinking green, that’s likely the problem.

Assuming you are supposed to claim the device to your account, these are the generic steps for resolving a verify device ownership problem. These may not be appropriate for CoopTender.

The normal sequence on the status LED is: white, blinking green, blinking cyan (light blue), fast blinking cyan, and finally breathing cyan.

How far along the process do you get?

Breathing cyan

If you get all the way to breathing cyan, you can just claim manually using one of these techniques:

Breathing cyan - Method 1

If you have not done so already, please install the Particle CLI. The command line utilities are useful not only for solving this problem but will be valuable later on, as well.

https://docs.particle.io/guide/tools-and-features/cli

If you are using Windows, be sure to use the link to Windows CLI Installer that will automatically install all of the components instead of the more complicated manual install.

Put the Photon into Listening mode (blinking blue) by holding down SETUP until it blinks blue. Then issue the CLI command:

particle serial identify

Save the Device ID; you’ll need it next.

Reset the Photon and wait for it to breathe cyan. The next step won’t succeed until it’s breathing cyan. Then issue the command:

particle device add YOUR_DEVICE_ID

Breathing cyan - Method 2

If you don’t want to install the CLI now, you can use one of the techniques in this document for finding your device ID:

https://docs.particle.io/faq/particle-devices/finding-device-id/photon/

Once you know it, you can go to https://build.particle.io. Select the Devices icon (circle with 4 lines) and use the Add Device link to add the device. The Photon must be in breathing cyan mode and then use the Device ID you obtained earlier and enter it into the box.

Blinking green

If you only get to blinking green your Photon is unable to connect to Wi-Fi.

First, a few known working situations that the Photon is not compatible with:

• If you are using a corporate or school network that uses WPA2 Enterprise, the Photon cannot be used at this time. If you require both a username and a password, or see a mention of 802.1(x), or RADIUS you’re using WPA2 Enterprise.

• If you are using a network that takes you to a web page where you need to either sign in or agree to terms and service when you first connect, using the Photon directly will be difficult or impossible. This is the case in some hotels and public Wi-Fi networks and is often referred to as Captive Portal.

• If your Wi-Fi network uses 5 GHz only, instead of the more common 2.4 GHz, the Photon cannot be used. The Wi-Fi radio is only compatible with 2.4 GHz networks.

For home users:

• If your router uses WEP encryption, you should upgrade your router to something more secure. However it may be possible to connect your Photon with some difficulty by following the WEP configuration instructions.

And the less common situations there are additional tips here:

Fast blinking cyan with red or orange blinks

If you get to fast blinking cyan, with red or orange blinks before going back to blinking green or blinking cyan, you may have corrupted device keys.

You’ll need to have the Particle Command Line Interface (CLI) installed, so if you have not installed it yet, follow the instructions here:

https://docs.particle.io/guide/tools-and-features/cli/photon/

if you are using Windows, make sure you use the Windows CLI Installer link and skip the other steps.

Put the Photon into Listening mode (blinking blue) by holding down SETUP until it blinks blue. Then issue the CLI command:

particle serial identify

Save the Device ID; you’ll need it later.

Then put the Photon in DFU mode by holding down both the RESET and SETUP buttons, releasing RESET and continuing to hold down SETUP until it blinks yellow and issue the commands below, in order.

particle keys server
particle keys doctor YOUR_DEVICE_ID

If you get this error under Windows:

'openssl' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

and you have used the CLI installer as described above, it may work if you do:

cd c:\OpenSSL-Win32\bin
particle keys doctor YOUR_DEVICE_ID

There are additional tips for a missing openssl error on this page, including tips for Mac OS X and Linux.

2 Likes

Thanks Rikkas - I changed the security from WEP to WPA2 and was able to get set up right away. When prompted to “claim” I declined. All good!

1 Like