Photon Connectivity

Hi
I purchased a Photon a year and connected to my garage door opener. its been working well up until now. I purchased a Huawei wifi modem and now I cannot configure the Photon. I got the Photon in SETUP mode with the LED flashing blue, I opened the terminal and typed “particle identify” and got this message.
“Error loading Command C:\Users…serialport.node was compiled against a different Node.js version using NODE_MODULE_VERSION_48. This version of Node.js requires NODE_MODULE_VERSION_57…”
I reinstalled a version 57 but I get the same message.
Can you help?

It looks like you have an old install of the CLI. I would remove that:

npm uninstall -g particle-cli

Then reinstall the CLI using the Particle CLI for Windows installer:

https://docs.particle.io/guide/tools-and-features/cli/electron/#using-windows

1 Like

Thanks for your quick response. I went through all you suggested rickkas7 and it seemed to work but it got to the last stage and got an error message “Verify Product Ownership”. Went through the whole ssid user name and reset password , but still no good.

Any ideas

Cheers

John

Failed to claim ownership has a bunch of causes.

The normal sequence on the status LED is: white, blinking green, blinking cyan (light blue), fast blinking cyan, and finally breathing cyan.

How far along the process do you get?

Breathing cyan

If you get all the way to breathing cyan, you can just claim manually using one of these techniques:

Put the Photon into Listening mode (blinking blue) by holding down SETUP until it blinks blue. Then issue the CLI command:

particle identify

Save the Device ID; you’ll need it next.

Reset the Photon and wait for it to breathe cyan. The next step won’t succeed until it’s breathing cyan. Then issue the command:

particle device add YOUR_DEVICE_ID

Blinking green

If you only get to blinking green your Photon is unable to connect to Wi-Fi.

First, a few known working situations that the Photon is not compatible with:

• If you are using a corporate or school network that uses WPA2 Enterprise, the Photon cannot be used with 0.6.x and earlier system firmware. If you require both a username and a password, or see a mention of 802.1(x), or RADIUS you’re using WPA2 Enterprise. The 0.7.0 firmware is still pre-release, but can be used with WPA2 Enterprise.

• If you are using a network that takes you to a web page where you need to either sign in or agree to terms and service when you first connect, using the Photon directly will be difficult or impossible. This is the case in some hotels and public Wi-Fi networks and is often referred to as Captive Portal.

• If your Wi-Fi network uses 5 GHz only, instead of the more common 2.4 GHz, the Photon cannot be used. The Wi-Fi radio is only compatible with 2.4 GHz networks.

For home users:

• If your router uses WEP encryption, you should upgrade your router to something more secure. However it may be possible to connect your Photon with some difficulty by following the WEP configuration instructions.

And the less common situations there are additional tips here:

Fast blinking cyan with red or orange blinks

If you get to fast blinking cyan, with red or orange blinks before going back to blinking green or blinking cyan, you may have corrupted device keys.

Put the Photon into Listening mode (blinking blue) by holding down SETUP until it blinks blue. Then issue the CLI command:

particle identify

Save the Device ID; you’ll need it later.

Then put the Photon in DFU mode by holding down both the RESET and SETUP buttons, releasing RESET and continuing to hold down SETUP until it blinks yellow and issue the commands below, in order.

particle keys server
particle keys doctor YOUR_DEVICE_ID

If you get this error under Windows:

'openssl' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

and you have used the CLI installer as described above, it may work if you do:

cd c:\OpenSSL-Win32\bin
particle keys doctor YOUR_DEVICE_ID

There are additional tips for a missing openssl error on this page, including tips for Mac OS X and Linux.

Rick

1 Like