Photon not able to setup

One of my photon works fine but the other doesn’t want to setup. It’s blinking blue, which is good however from IOS or Android it doesn’t see it, it doesn’t create a wireless ap so I don’t see it there. Then tried the dfu-util it says it cannot open dfu device. Putty connected a couple times but when you hit S it says modular=no. Any thoughts?

No wireless AP in listening mode? That’s very strange! Can you check using a laptop for local WiFI networks and let us know if you see a network named similar to Photon-XXXX ?

For dfu-util to find the device, it should be in DFU mode (flashing yellow.)

The modular=no output means this is running factory firmware whose purpose is to connect to the cloud and update to the latest firmware. You can also download and install the firmware manually from here.

Have you got the CLI installed? If so, could you try putting the Photon into listening mode, and enter the credentials with particle setup wifi? Updating the system firmware might also help, if you’re up for that.

This is what happens when I try the cli:

I have detected a Photon connected via USB.
? Would you like to continue with this one? Yes
Serial err: Error: Opening \.\COM3: Access denied
Serial problems, please reconnect the device.
! The Photon supports secure Wi-Fi setup. We'll try that first.

! PROTIP: Wireless setup of Photons works like a wizard!
! PROTIP: We will automagically change the Wi-Fi network to which your computer
is connected.
! PROTIP: You will lose your connection to the internet periodically.

Potentially unhandled rejection [2] Serial problems, please reconnect the device
. (WARNING: non-Error used)
No nearby Photons detected. Try the particle.js help command for more inform

No network saying photon-xxxx :frowning:

I assume that’s with the particle setup command? Instead of that, try this one particle setup wifi (note the ‘wifi’ part). Don’t have it detect your security type automatically, but rather choose from the list.

No joy.

Any particular errors it throws?

The error stated problems accessing the photon. I think the device wifi is not working.

Follow this [Howto] Setup photon if docs step fail

Thank you all for the suggestions. I found the DFU driver installation steps from a couple other posts, then was able to flash with the latest firmware. I’m assuming it’s on the latest version but have no way of checking, but it now connects to wifi and all is good. Thanks all.

2 Likes