Photon continuously blinking Red and momentary breaths white

Hello Everyone,

My Photon was working great till yesterday. But, It is facing problem today all of a sudden. As soon as I power it up, it blinks Red rapidly 10 times(some short, some long) then pause(nothing blinks) and again 10 times Red blinking and then it is breathing white for a moment. I’ve seen the docs and tried entering Safe Mode but it cannot enter. Though, it enters DFU mode.

Please someone help.
Thank You,
djs07

That sounds like an SOS panic code and a video of that would help.

If this also shows how you try to enter Safe Mode this might help.

2 Likes

@ScruffR, I’ve updated the firmware by keeping photon in DFU mode as described in docs/guide yesterday. Then it worked fine and got connected to the cloud. But, still sometimes it automatically starts flashing cyan and then blinks Red few times. I’ll share the video by tomorrow.

Thank You.

@ScruffR, I haven’t posted the video because somehow the problem got solved. It was working well but just few hours before it started having another issue:

“It blinks green,then cyan and breathe cyan. And after few seconds(20-30) it starts flashing cyan, then 2 orange blinks, then flashing green-cyan-to-breathe cyan. This cycle keeps on repeating.”

I tried to use public keys server command from CLI as stated in docs, but it didn’t work.
I’ve also tried the command particle keys doctor MY_DEVICE_ID_HERE, but this shows an error like this:

Found DFU device 2b04:d006
Found DFU device 2b04:d006
Error creating keys... Error: Command failed: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /s /c "openssl genrsa -out 32001c000747353138383138_rsa_new.pem 1024"
'openssl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Make sure your device is in DFU mode (blinking yellow), and that your computer is online.
Error - Error: Command failed: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /s /c "openssl genrsa -out 32001c000747353138383138_rsa_new.pem 1024"
'openssl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

I tried uploading video(as in GIF) of the pattern, but it’s not getting uploaded.

You can upload proper videos (not GIFs) to any video platform (e.g. YouTube or vimeo) and just post the link (on a seperate line, unindented) then the video will be embedded.

In order to have these CLI commands work, you need OpenSSL installed on your PC and add it to the system PATH variable.

But your symptom description sounds like a power supply issue. Try powering the device with a beefier supply (5V 2A) and maybe try other USB cables.
Also your code can cause connection issues by keeping the code flow trapped for too long (>=10sec)

1 Like

I think, this could be the issue in my case, because I've tried other USB cables, it doesn't seem to have issues with power supply!

I'm sharing the drive link for the video here. I hope that would help better!

@ScruffR, Thank you so much once again! I ran the command successfully after following your instructions:

And now the photon is working perfectly fine!

2 Likes