Particle Electron without Sim

Hello

Just got a new particle electron kit, plugged LED+resistor into experimental board, connected the particle via USB to my PC, compiled the LED example on the cloud and flashed the resulting firmware with “particle flash --serial firmware.bin”. Please how can I execute the code (commandline) WITHOUT using the SIM? I am newbie.

your support is highly appreciated.

Welcome to the community :wave:
For new members we’d like to point out this thread
https://community.particle.io/t/welcome-using-particle-forums-and-forum-etiquette
especially Step 2 :wink:

Searching the forum and finding an already posted answer often works out quicker than waiting for people to answer (often over and over).

Potential solutions:
Programming Electron without SIM card
Using Electron in Manual or Semi-Automatic Mode Without SIM [Solved]
[solved] Running firmware on the Electron without a SIM card via DFU?

or this To run an Electron without SIM you need to use `SYSTEM_MODE(SEMI_AUTOMATIC)` or `SYSTEM_MODE(MANUAL)` to prevent the device from ***attempting*** to connect to the cell network.
2 Likes

thank you for your fast response. I had already read these suggestions before I posted my questions.

The problem is that I do not know how to proceed after I flashed “firmware.bin”. observed behavior: The blue light on the particle electron keeps flashing. The LED keeps dark. Expected behavior: The LED at Pin D6 will turn on /off every 1 second.

For your convenience, let me attach my sample code.

your support is highly appreciated.

SYSTEM_MODE(SEMI_AUTOMATIC);
int led2 = D6; // Instead of writing D7 over and over again, we'll write led2
void setup() {
  pinMode(led2, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
  digitalWrite(led2, HIGH);
  delay(1000);
  digitalWrite(led2, LOW);
  delay(1000);
}
1 Like

That would suggest your code didn't actually get flashed - or is it maybe breathing?

How did you build the new firmware?
Can you try flashing in DFU Mode via particel flash --usb firmware.bin -v?
Have you got an external LED attached to D6?
Have you confirmed it's actually working?
What current limiting resistor are you using on D6?
What device OS version are you running?
What do you get from particle serial inspect (in Listening Mode)?
What do you get from particle binary inspect firmware.bin?

ok, I got it work.

• How did you build the new firmware?
    online with cloud compiler at Particle Web IDE, clicked on the black cloud "compile and download firmware binary". It turned out that this binary is built for the photon by default.

Solution: claim device by adding the sim card + credit card information into the microprocessor. The lamp turned cyan.
from console: "particle device add "

Claiming device
Successfully claimed device

now, the cloud compiler provides a binary for the electron, download and flash it with "particle serial flash firmware.bin" in listening mode.

.... works perfectly. thank you