P2 keeps flashing blue / "request error" while flashing

hello

we are preparing the factory flashing/testing process for our p2 base product and run into this problem every now and then: the p2 keeps flashing blue shortly after boot. i see no logging. i can flash it (see below) but whatever i do it returns to flashing blue. something wrong with the bootloader

thanks
frank

device-os-flash tool (here we use 5.4.0, we get the same with 5.3.2):

frank@Aussimento p2 % device-os-flash --all-devices 5.4.0
Initializing module cache
Found cached module binaries
Initializing flash interface
Enumerating local devices
Flashing target devices
Target devices:
1. 0a10aced202194944a004cbc (P2)
[Device 1] Skipping p2-prebootloader-mbr@5.4.0.bin. It's required to be encrypted
[Device 1] Preparing device for flashing
[Device 1] Flashing p2-system-part1@5.4.0.bin
[Device 1] Flashing p2-tinker@5.4.0.bin
[Device 1] Resetting device
[Device 1] Using control requests to flash remaining modules
[Device 1] Flashing p2-prebootloader-part1@5.4.0.bin
[Device 1] Flashing p2-bootloader@5.4.0.bin
[Device 1] Request error
[Device 1] Retrying
[Device 1] Request error
[Device 1] Retrying
[Device 1] Request error
Error: Request error
frank@Aussimento p2 % 

device-restore-usb tool:

The red X next to a module indicates that the module's dependencies are not met, not the the module itself is invalid.

Working from the bottom, System Part1 is requires bootloader 2200, but 2102 is on-device. That should be the p2-bootloader file. That failed to flash with a request error, so that explains why it wasn't upgraded, though I don't know why the request failed.

Bootloader 2102 (the old bootloader) also had invalid dependencies as it requires bootloader 1 version 2 (OK), and bootloader 2 version 5 (needs upgrade). Bootloader 2 is p2-prebootloader-part1, which apparently also did not flash correctly.

That doesn't explain why you're getting request errors, but that's what's currently wrong on the device.

it is not just a flash-fluke - redoing it either way will not fix it

so this board is garbage now?

thanks
frank

Are you able to restore it using the web-based Device Restore USB? That uses a different technique for flashing the bootloader so it's worth a try.

we use device-os-flash in the factory but i did try the web based tool (as in the screenshot) - no luck

we seem to getting more and more boards in this state... not good

i think there are 2 problems, both can be seen in the "device restore over usb" screenshot above:

-1- "Bootloader 2" will not update to "5" as needed by "Bootloader". we see this all the time. is this the encrypted bootloader that cannot be upgraded?

-2- while upgrading to 5.4.0: the "Bootloader" never upgrades to "2200" as requered by "System Part 1". we do not see this upgrading to 5.3.2 (as it needs "only" "2102")

any insight in how to fix this would be very, very welcome!

thanks
frank