New Shipping Prices

FedEx owns DHL now if you didn’t know.

Interesting in terms of marketing strategy. I just checked and DHL rates for a small item from BHPhotoVideo ranged from $13-18 whereas the Fedex rate for the same item was $51.

In the case of deliveries to Australia there is a marked difference in trackability. DHL parcels can be tracked at all times and delivery estimates are reliable. Once Fedex parcels hit Australia they enter a black hole and are untraceable. They emerge eventually but it can take days.

Every company is going to be different in terms of shipping things based off an exorbitant number of variables. We definitely explored other options in terms of shipping companies and we found FedEx to be the best option for us and our products. I’m not super familiar with BHphotoVideo, but there are many factors that come into play, especially for international shipments.

Since a majority of Particle’s products ship with a lithium battery, there’s extra charges for handling those “dangerous goods” from the carrier (see DHL’s site for info there), there’s additional charges for packaging (since they have to be labeled as dangerous goods), there’s additional charges for certifications on those dangerous goods, and the list goes on and on. Some of these are flat fee’s, some of these charges are negotiable, but trust me that our team has been working tirelessly to get the price as low as possible for our customers.

In addition to this, DHL recently changed their policies on shipping Lithium batteries, which you can see here. We’ve used DHL in the past and every international shipment would be returned to us due to their dangerous goods policies, causing massive delays and extremely high shipping fees (shipping the order, returning the order, re-shipping the order). All of these factors caused an extremely poor customer experience, which is unacceptable.

We do have 3 distributors in Australia right now though! Core Electronics, Redshift Labs, and IOT Store. We’re constantly adding new ones as well, but you can check out our distributor page for a complete list of them.

Thanks. I have the choices of local distributors with 30% markup for small volumes or amortising mailing costs over a larger number of devices direct from Particle.