New Particle hardware?

Who do I need to talk to about billing for these pre orders?

Contact support at https://support.particle.io/

1 Like

BLE 5, oh yeah, FPU, oh yeah! But … only 12bits ADC? And what about a P1/P0 like module that the pick and place machines can handle? Will we see schematics? And FCC certification comes with it?

Nice link to the solar-powered nRF52840 sensor beacon!

I don’t see anything on the Xenon that should prevent us from creating the same low power solar based sensor. I see the nRF52840 accepts up to 5v input which eliminates the regulator on the input to drive it which takes the inefficiency of the buck converter out of the loop which is a nice touch.

We may be able to just run the chip directly off a solar cell depending on how you code your transmission burst for efficiency. It’s only consuming 19uA which is crazy low.

Still, have to wait and see what the schematic looks like though.

Will Particle Mesh hardware be available in mass production form factors like the E-Series?

Yes! More details to come – Particle will release our plans for mass production form factors for Particle Mesh hardware before preorder delivery in July 2018.

From Enterprise FAQ at IoT Network Solutions — Products & Services | Particle

1 Like

ATT only for M1 … hmmm, ATT has so far not been positive for NB-IoT … unlike all the other US MNOs

Too few particles to accomodate the whole dynasty to come :wink:

3 Likes

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet...

3 Likes

Can you elaborate on how Particle is using CoAP? I’m particularly curious re: what you are using for payload encoding. CBOR would be a natural evolution for a more efficient JSON.

You guys are so good at separating me from my money… Looking forward to receiving my order this summer!

The thing that I was most curious about is range? When you have a chance, can you so some real-world and ideal condition range tests for us? I did some searching and saw some tests that suggested range for the nRF52840 could be as much as 3km?

1 Like

@dougal, it will be interesting to see tests for indoor and outdoor configurations, including “noisy” WiFi environments. The range for BLE is different than that for Thread mesh and there are different data speeds that affect these rates. There are so many unanswered questions regarding Particle’s implemention of Thread meshing. I suspect Particle is one of the first open source, embedded version available to makers and developers with an easy-to-use API that they are so known for.

2 Likes

Yeah, when I originally looked at the Particle Mesh info, it wasn’t clear to me that the 802.15.4 Thread mesh implementation was something separate from BT5 Long Range. It was only after browsing the specs for the nRF52840 SoC that I started to glean that they were separate things. And almost all of the discussions that I’ve found about the chip are talking about the BT5 implementation.

Also, I got a little excited when I saw NFC mentioned. Though after a closer look, I think it’s only for emulating an NFC tag, not for reading them? Or is that incorrect?

And what about Zigbee? Will we be able to use this to interact with Zigbee devices?

So many questions!

So here are some interesting tidbits from Nordic’s latest Thread SDK for the nRF52840. These are comments from various examples which are, in some case, experimental. They do demonstrate however, the possibilities:

* @brief Proximity Application and Thread CoAP Server main file.
 * This application shows dynamic multiprotocol support for Thread and Bluetooth Low Energy.
 * Thread operates on 802.15.4 radio during Bluetooth Low Energy radio's inactive time.
 * This file contains is the source code for a sample proximity application using the
 * Immediate Alert, Link Loss and Tx Power services.
 * This application would accept pairing requests from any peer device.
 * It demonstrates the use of fast and slow advertising intervals.
-------------------------------
 * @brief Eddystone Beacon GATT Configuration Service + EID/eTLM sample application main file with Thread CoAP server dynamic multiprotocol.
 * This file contains the source code for an Eddystone
 * Beacon GATT Configuration Service + EID/eTLM sample application
 * and Thread CoAP configuration and initialisation.
-------------------------------
 * @brief Thread MQTT-SN Client Subscriber Example Application main file.
 * @details This example demonstrates an MQTT-SN client subscriber application that
 *          provides resources to control BSP_LED_2 via MQTT-SN messages.
 *          It can be controlled by a board with related MQTT-SN client publisher application.

DISCLAIMER: This DOES NOT speak to how Particle will implement their Thread API :wink:

1 Like

Hi folks - is it just me or is this post getting way too long to be useful in the future? The title has become too general for the variety of discussions it captures. I’m going to close this topic but keep it around. Feel free to ask additional questions in new posts with specific subject lines. We want to make sure the Q & A is discoverable by future viewers/our future selves.

Thanks!

4 Likes