I’m sure a lot of you will have things to say :). I’ve only just started using Particle DEV and there are a lot of good things about it as compared to the Web IDE.
However here are a few observations and things I don’t like or things I was expecting.
The way compile errors are displayed is very cumbersome
- If one wants to navigate from error to error, there are just too many clicks. For example in Visual Studio (and Visual Studio code) one can simply hit the F8 key to go from compile error to error.
- Can’t copy the error messages
- Compile errors lines are not highlighted in the code editor
- When I do click on an error in the popup dialog, it’s difficult to see where the cursor is exactly. The line that you were navigated to is not highlighted and the error is not selected or anything except for the gutter highlight.
Keyboard Shortcuts for Compile/Build and Upload
These shortcuts don’t work from the code editor. They only work if the focus is on the Tree View. So currently, that means one first has to do
Atl + \``` and thenCtrl + R
orCtrl + U` as the case may be.
Can’t copy from the Serial Monitor
Particle Dev forgets the last Selected Device. Unlike the Web IDE. Not sure what the reasoning behind this is.
Now my Questions:
- Is there are way to compile and Flash locally? Say if my Photon is in listen mode, rather then use the CLI to flash the Photon, I’d like to be able to Flash the Photon using Particle DEV. I have a lot of Photons that are not connected to the Particle site
- How about just Flash locally?
- Is there a way to specify the name of the bin file rather than some random file name that changes each time? Maybe it should use the name of the project by default?
- Can I Flash multiple Photons simiultaneously using Particle Dev?