Poll: How do you flash code to your device?

• Particle Build (Web IDE)
  • Particle Dev (Local IDE)
  • Particle CLI
  • Local compile via make

0 voters

Dev for ‘real’ projects.
Web for quick and dirty library tests.

I use the Cloud9 IDE with CLI and the web IDE to browse libraries.

I print out the .bin file and while reading it byte for byte, tap out sequence of 0’s and 1’s to the device using a pair of microswitches.

It used to take a long time on the core, but with the small binaries on the Photon it’s a breeze!

11 Likes

I use the webide now to learn how to use everything. later i want to start using the local dev to manage me development in-house.

@mdma: Nice try :wink:. Think of all the time you could save by outsourcing that job. You might also want to make sure that the switches have a very good debouncing circuit, or your rocket could very well end up heading to China instead of to the moon.

Personally, I use the Local IDE…at least until I ended up having to do a local compile to experiment with the LATEST, DEVELOP and other branches. At the moment, my code is primarily in a local build. I FLASH the binary via DFU-Util, and a shortcut in the Windows Explorer “Send To” menu.

Wow, that’s hard core…

We used the same approach for a while, but we finally bit the bullet and invested in a clan of gelada baboons. It took a while, but once they figured out how to use fashion a sort of rudimentary lathe, they were able to make the tools they needed to tap on the microswitches. (I know what you’re thinking - it’s not a problem. We hire interns to take care of that.)

Life is good. Cheers,
L3

1 Like

I use both Particle Dev and the CLI. Recently I got particle Dev working on linux, so my daily usage of Particle CLI has decreased. I use Particle CLI with Travis CI.

I clicked on WebIDE because I thought multiple selections were possible as I’m using WebIDE and particle-cli. I’m also looking forward to using local compiling once I have more time on my hands.

Web for funzies, and CLI when I’m feeling ambitious and/or had espresso.

I too voted for WebIDE thinking that multiple selections were possible.

(I flash the SIMON game onto my Internet Button what I feel like having a few minutes of distraction!)

1 Like

@ladysarakat That. Sounds. AWESOME!!! Can you post the SIMON game in project shares or tutorials? I’d love to see it!

1 Like

@christine Sure, I can absolutely share how I got it. I didn’t write it, I’ve only found it! It is definitely neat though, and works exactly as expected.

1 Like

Nice, where they able to deal with the rock monster local to their area with the rudimentary lathe? If so, you should write a paper on the method they used so I can take care of the one on my planet.

Hard core... or hard photon?

(•_•) ( •_•)>⌐□-□ (⌐□_□)

3 Likes
  ___         _                   _ 
 / _ \ _ __  | |__   __ _ _ __ __| |
| | | | '__| | '_ \ / _` | '__/ _` |
| |_| | |    | | | | (_| | | | (_| |
 \___/|_|    |_| |_|\__,_|_|  \__,_|

_____ _           _                  ___ 
| ____| | ___  ___| |_ _ __ ___  _ __|__ \
|  _| | |/ _ \/ __| __| '__/ _ \| '_ \ / /
| |___| |  __/ (__| |_| | | (_) | | | |_| 
|_____|_|\___|\___|\__|_|  \___/|_| |_(_)
1 Like
1 Like

Given there is no “other” option in the survey why do the percentages only add up to 97%?

The remaining 3% are in a superposition, indecisive of whether or not to materialize or remain waveforms(?)

2 Likes