LTE E-series data consumption is zero

I activated two LTE E-series modules and both of them are reporting zero data usage. I even performed remote firmware updates to test performance.

The SIM data usage is 0 MB. I used the Cloud API to check if there was any usage in the past 48 hours. It is still zero. The device has been active for more than two days.

Why would the data usage be zero?

There are two known issues for LTE data usage at this time (late October 2018):

• For some devices, we’re not getting any data usage reported, so none is being reflected in the console.
  • In some cases, there is a delay before usage is reported, up to a few days.

Both of these problems are being worked on between Particle and the mobile carrier to find the cause and solution.

1 Like

Hi @rickkas7,
Is this problem solved?
I have a similar issue with a Boron LTE, but I’m not sure if it’s the same problem or if I’m only using such a small amount of data (sending some temperatures each day), that it has not reached 1 MB.
What is the minimum amount of data usage that should appear? Is it 1MB, or could be smaller, by showing some decimal cases?

Thanks,

David

I just received my first Boron and have the same questions regarding how to monitor my usage - per other threads it sounds like there is a 2+ day lag to see usage data show up in the Particle Console? Is that still the case? I also tried via the API using the sims/xxxx/data_usage endpoint and it’s showing zero.

The data usage for LTE Cat M1 devices (Boron LTE, E Series LTE, etc.) will be delayed by at least a few and as many as several days. This affects both the console and the API. That’s the granularity of the data provided by our SIM provider.

Thanks @rickkas7 for the quick response. In my case I have defined a string variable whose value is Serial1.readStringUntil('\x03') and my app polls the Particle API to retrieve this value. Sorry for the newbie question, but how would I determine the size of each API call based on the length of the string? I’m hoping I can then at least roughly estimate a potential range for my monthly data consumption.