Initial Setup of Photon

Hi I have been trying and failing to setup my photon for the 1st time. I have tried both android app and setup via USB, both have failed.
In both instances I fail at the connection to cloud part

I have a 2.4g wifi connection (channel6), and I have also tried using my phone as a portable wifi hotspot to rule out my home wifi.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Hi Lee

What color is the LED flashing at the end of your setup process? Take a look at Device Modes to see if we can further diagnose your problem.
Sometimes it takes a little while before the Particle cloud registers your device as ‘online’, at least it used to anyway.

Hi, thanks for taking the time to get back to me.The device has never left the blue flashing state unfortunately.By the spped of the flashing LED it is closest to listening mode.

The led associated with D7 is also a solid blue LED

Ok, sounds unusual, I definitely would have expected you to see the photon cycle through a few different colors while it was trying to connect. Perhaps try resetting the photon and then holding down the setup button for 10 seconds (until it flashes quickly) to reset the access point list, in case you’ve entered a password incorrectly. Can you then confirm that while the app says “The photon will now attempt to connect to your Wi-Fi network” you’re definitely not seeing the LED leave listenting mode?

Just to make sure nothing interferes with the board remove any extra circuitry, the breadboard or if you only got the Photon on a sponge remove the sponge as it is slightly conductive.
And try these steps

particle serial wifi
  • don’t use the auto discovery but enter the data yourself
  • press RESET when done
  • see what colors show up now (and report)
  • put back into listening mode
particle identify
  • copy device ID
particle device add <deviceID>
  • report result

Hi, no difference in led whatsoever, the message 'it doesn’t look like your photon has made it to the cloud yet.

typed in particle serial wifi

it asked if i wanted to scvan for nearby wifi- said no

command prompt window did nothing. led went solid blue

pressed reset and led flashes green

put back in to listening mode

could do nothing with command prompt window, so pressed ctrl+c

terminate batch job-said no

particle identify

Your device id is 38003f000647343138333038
Serial err: Error: Opening COM4: Access denied
Serial problems, please reconnect the device.
Unable to determine system firmware version

then did particle device add as below

Your device id is 38003f000647343138333038
Serial err: Error: Opening COM4: Access denied
Serial problems, please reconnect the device.
Unable to determine system firmware version

com 4 is reporting as

detial within it is

I appreciate you assistance.

Huh? :confused:

I can’t really see anything wrong with the drivers, so it might be something with CLI permissions.
Could you run cmd as administrator?

Or you could just use a plain serial terminal program like PuTTY.
Once in Listening Mode connect to COM4 and enter w to provide WiFi credentials.
If the device makes it to breathing cyan then, you can do the claiming via Particle Build too.

1 Like

run as administrator

when i said no to scan, led went out, once all credentials put in, it started flashing green, then came up with message below

Then went back into listening mode on its own

Have you reset the device after that?
Can you try the serial approach?

Hey Lee,

Go ahead and fill out a support ticket so I can help you out here. Please reference this post in your ticket. We’ll get you set right and then I’ll update this post for community reference.