How to Connect Spark Core to ppDAQC Board from Pi-Plates

The ppDAQC board from Pi-Plates is an I/O expansion board with 7 open collector outputs, 8 analog inputs, 8 digital inputs, and 2 analog outputs. Up to eight of these boards can be mechanically stacked together to provide a total of 56 open collector outputs, 64 analog inputs, 64 digital inputs and 16 analog outputs. While originally designed to directly interface to the Raspberry Pi they can be connected to a Spark Core with just a few wires and a bit of code. See the complete step by step instructions along with code examples here at Instructables.

1 Like

Marketing is great and all, but it would be nice if you could at least add some general info about the project here…

Thanks in advance!

I kind of thought the project explained itself. But…
This project will allow you to increase the I/O capabilities of your Spark Core.

Well, I for one didn’t know what the board was for, and I’m sure there are plenty of others who don’t know. I personally think it’s useful to have an idea of what your looking at before having to look further.

@wallyware, what’s missing is an explanation of what the ppDAQC board offers. This board was originally designed for the Raspberry Pi so the functionality of the board is a a little more “raw” when using it with the Spark. However, there is a huge opportunity to create a rPi to Spark to PiPlate connection via a cloud connection. Making the PiPlate ppDAQc “wireless” via a Spark Core and being able to use the PiPlate Demo console on the rPi would be a killer! :smile:

@Moors7, that could make a great project!

1 Like

OK, guys you’re right, my original posting was a bit bleak. I hope the edit is a bit more to your liking. And @ppkay123, I have a board in progress right now that let’s you use a Spark Core or Arduino Uno with Pi-Plates.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1 Like

@wallyware, I am not sure what you mean by "a board in progress". :smile:

Ummm, something like this?

But different…

My guess is something with standard Arduino shield and/or Spark pinout.

@wallyware, I get it. You mean a Spark or Arduino board that replaces the rPi using the same connector.

I really, really think that using the Spark as a ppDAQc wireless extension to the rPi would be a killer app!

Couldn’t I just do the same thing with an RPI running an apache server?

@wallyware, of course you could! The idea was a demonstration of a Spark and a ppDAQC working together and exploiting the cloud connectivity. Remember, this is a Spark forum so members like Spark applications! :wink: