Failed Boron Firmware Upgrade

Over the last few months I have had two Borons that were being being upgraded from 2.0.1 to 2.2.0 and failed. When I power them on now they start blinking magenta but after a few seconds start blinking red. I tried a bunch of different things including the Device Restore JTAG but it always fails on the “Programming Bootloader”. When I try to hold the MODE button it goes from Magenta, Yellow, White and Red. It never goes to the listening mode. I suspect a bad USB cable but on the other hand I did maybe 50 upgrades and all went without an issue. Any thoughts on what may have caused this? Anyway to recover or are the bricked?

Have you tried Safe Mode?
Have you tried updating via CLI?
When you say it starts blinking red, could you also describe the exact blink code?

Yes, tried Safe Mode with no luck. It starts flashing magenta but after a few seconds I get red led.
Yes, tried updating using CLI.
Starts with a few fast red blinks followed by 10 one second apart links - looks like a Assertion failure.
Tried this as well Status LED and Device Modes - Boron | Tutorials | Particle but no luck.