Electron - some product dimensions

I have been looking for this for quite some time, but can’t find it anywhere. I’m trying to look for the following two measurements:

A - the distance from the center of the u.FL antenna jack to the U260 Ublox (excluding the little PCB the U260 is mounted on)
B - the height of the U260 Ublox + PCB (i.e. how far does the U260 protrude out of the Electron board)
(pictures included for clarification)

Reason I’m asking is that I’m not a big fan of the u.FL antenna jack - either you leave it on extremely loose (and will probably pop out on its own) or you solder it on, in which case it’s time-consuming to replace an antenna. Therefore, I want to place an u.FL to SMA connector on it, but need to know these dimensions to find something that actually fits on it.

1 Like

Hi @Vitesze

I don’t know these dimensions but I think the only place to get them is the PCB layout files on github.

That said, I would just use a u.Fl to SMA pigtail which are cheap and widely available. The only real problem the u.Fl connectors is that they are not meant to have a lot of insertion/decoupling cycles. I do not think you are going to find an SMA connector that will in any way fit in that space.

Hi Vitesze,

either you leave it on extremely loose (and will probably pop out on its own)

We've been shipping products with the included Taoglas antenna connected to the u.FL connector and then adhesived to the wall of the enclosure. We have yet to have one come undone.

The u.FL port seems to be an effective connection, especially once you have the adhesive from the antenna connected to something secure so there is no movement on the wire.

Yeah - a pigtail connector is an option - it's not my first choice though as it will take up more space in my electric enclosure (which is already packed with stuff) and I don't like movable objects in general, as my enclosure will be shaken around a lot.

I did find this connector - and a few with slightly different dimensions - which I think might would fit if the uBlox. But I can only know for sure if I have the exact dimensions - so I will have a look at some more datasheets.

Not in my user case though - first, the enclosure I have is slightly too small for the Taoglas antenna so it can't actually be properly mounted anywhere. Secondly, the enclosure goes on a waste container, so whenever that container is picked up the enclosure gets violently shaken around and will eventually lead to the antenna disconnecting (even if it the adhesive is used - which I experienced when using the Asset Tracker)

Oh wow! So you’ve had them come off before…

it would be cool if there was a way you could manually constrain the top of the u.FL connector with some foam (or similar) coming down from the top of your compact enclosure over the electron.

Our environment has motion, but not as violent as trash can shaking.

Yes - at the minimum the sensors are left on the container for a few months, so that’s several dozen of container pickups - and trash hitting the enclosure - that the connection will have to endure. Hence why so far I’ve simply soldered the Taoglas, but as I mentioned it’s too bulky and moves around a bit, so something like the TG22.0222 antenna would probably be more suited.

I still prefer the u.FL to SMA pigtail. The adapter pictured above is neat, and may or may not fit, but my thinking is that you’ve got the mass of the adapter and the SMA connector on the antenna putting pressure on the u.FL connector when you’re shaking the assembly. With the pigtail, the the mass of the SMA connector isn’t putting any pressure on the u.FL, making it less likely to detach. I could be wrong, but that was my first thought.

3 Likes

Why not just add some silicone adhesive over the uFL connector that will hold it or put some adhesive over the wire onto the PCB to help keep the wire from moving like a strain relief.

DJI does this one some of their drones. Apple uses tape to secure the uFl wire to the PCB to prevent the uFL from moving around.

I also find the uFL connector to be a pretty robust connection.

I agree with this 100%. I think the larger adapter will only cause more problems.

3 Likes

I really like the combination of the soldered-to-the-board u.FL to SMA adapter that comes with the E series development kit. Pictured here with a right angle SMA duck antenna. (This combination is not covered under the existing Particle certification, as antenna must of of the same type and equal or lesser gain, and the duck is not the same type. But it’s great for prototyping.)

3 Likes

Those are some good points :thinking:

The PC104 Taoglas for sure is not going to fit, so the antenna has to be changed either way.

I think I could replicate the uFL to SMA connection of @rickkas7 - I would just solder the SMA connector onto my pcb - if I need to replace the antenna, I can easily get it off, and if i need to replace the Electron (for a Boron) I can desolder it off the pcb

Nevermind - this would not be a good way of doing things - as I want other people to also be able to swap Electrons, and they don’t have soldering equipment at hand

I think the uFL to SMA adapter is just as good if some sort of adhesive or double strong tape a strain relief is used to keep the uFL wire from moving.