Electron Asset Tracker V2 Battery Issues

Hi

I’m trying to power my Asset tracker using a different battery : this battery

The device / project works fine when powered by USB or the normal 3.7v lipo battery provided with the device.

So looking at the battery above i think it has enough output to power the device… but it seems to stalling when the gps module starts up and then it grinds to a halt.

Its hard to debug it as i can’t plug in the USB!

any help greatly appreciated.

The added power draw of the GPS unit may be pulling the battery voltage to low causing the issue your seeing. The only difference between the LiPo and USB power is the higher voltage those sources are feeding the Electron.

You may need a booster circuit to keep the battery voltage high enough for proper operation.

Others have used this successfuly with the same battery type you are using:

Hi - Thanks.
Just need to try and source something like it in the UK.

I’m sure they ship to the UK

they do - just the cost of the shipping.
I’ll have a hunt to see if i can get anything more local first
But thank you for the help.

If i were to use a slightly bigger battery such as this: bigger battery which is 3.7v.

I believe they should handle the peak currents.

thanks

Also, the highest Electron current draw is during blinking cyan. You may want to consider waiting until Particle.connected() is true before turning on the GPS.

Thanks.
I’m not connecting to the particle cloud, but instead my own server.
Although the modem is only made to connect once the GPS has completed its positioning / timed out.

I know it can connect to my server as i have a ‘Hello world’ connection when my device is hard reset.
Its just once all the other modules start coming online the power demand is greater.
I’d rather find a better battery than add more components to the project.