Controlling light bulbs with Wifi Mesh - where to start?

Hi there,

I’m new to Particle but have lots of experience with Raspberry Pis.

I’m trying to figure out how to use wifi mesh to build a smart bulb lighting system.

The problem is that I’m working with regular screw-in light fixtures… which has led me to a seeming big gap in building a prototype…

What do people recommend if we wanted to build smart lighting with Particle mesh in regular light sockets? What hardware would I use that can be screwed into a light fixture that can power a particle board AND contain the LED’s that show the color?

I’ve searched the internet for a lightbulb shell (basically a housing) that I can try and convert to power the board and then add something like a NeoPixel ring, but am not finding anything… any help here is much appreciated!

Welcome to the community :+1:

For such case the easiest solution would be some relay controlled by a GPIO.
But NOT inside the light fixture and only when you are comfortable, skilled and allowed to work with mains power!

I don’t know your local regulations but working with mains powers can be dangerous and having some uncertified alterations in your home may create serious troubles when it comes to insurance claimes.

Nothing wrong with asking such questions here, but the fact that you need to suggests that building a mains powerd appliance in the required small form factor may be few levels above your skill set which in turn makes it difficult for us to advise without running the risk to give advise that may lead you to do something potentially dangerous.

If only this thing got funded way back :wink:

@Moors7, yes exactly that would have been great…

@ScruffR, ok taking note of your answer here… So you’re recommending to stay away from something like this: https://www.instructables.com/id/NeoBulb-Neopixel-Bulb-With-Sensor/

That was Particle's entry into the IoT world back then. Didn't work out and got us to this amazing platform instead :wink:

For small spaces, lethal electronics, and items that could accidentally be handled by anyone (like a lightbulb), I'd rather not risk it.
You can get some really nice IoT bulbs for low prices, with local control. I'm personally using Yeelights, and am happy I didn't try messing with that particular project on my own.

1 Like

Lots of things are possible and fun to do, but safety must always come first.

Projects shared on the internet can still be dangerous, but even if the original wouldn’t be the individual copy may.

1 Like