Complier stopped displaying warnings

I use Particle Web IDE. Recently, it stopped printing wardings. I only get Error: Could not compile. Please review your code

It depends on the nature of the issue whether an error/warning log can be produced or not.
If you can provide a SHARE THIS REVISION link we might be able to see what’s causing it and possibly explain why you get such a non-descript error log.

When I build this I do get warnings. You just have to hit the SHOW RAW button.

You have a stray closing brace (}) at line 583
It comes from nesting block comments which often leads to issues.

someCode;
  /* outer comment
    /* nested comment */
   this should still be commented but is not
  */

this trips the compiler

Show RAW looks like this to me:

201204_fc_recv_1.ino: In function ‘void announce()’:
201204_fc_recv_1.ino:639:9: warning: unused variable ‘averagePulseTime’ [-Wunused-variable]
639 | int averagePulseTime;
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
201204_fc_recv_1.ino:640:9: warning: unused variable ‘averageNonPulseTime’ [-Wunused-variable]
640 | int averageNonPulseTime;
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
…/build/module.mk:274: recipe for target ‘…/build/target/user/platform-6-m201204_fc_recv_1.o’ failed
make[2]: *** […/build/target/user/platform-6-m201204_fc_recv_1.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory ‘/firmware/user’
…/…/…/build/recurse.mk:11: recipe for target ‘user’ failed
make[1]: *** [user] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/firmware/modules/photon/user-part’
…/build/recurse.mk:11: recipe for target ‘modules/photon/user-part’ failed

scroll up a bit, there you’ll find this

201204_fc_recv_1.ino:583:5: error: expected declaration before '}' token
  583 |     }
      |     ^
201204_fc_recv_1.ino: In function 'void announce()':
201204_fc_recv_1.ino:639:9: warning: unused variable 'averagePulseTime' [-Wunused-variable]
  639 |     int averagePulseTime;
      |         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
201204_fc_recv_1.ino:640:9: warning: unused variable 'averageNonPulseTime' [-Wunused-variable]
  640 |     int averageNonPulseTime;
      |         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is there a way to go back to the older style where only line numbers and error occur. I really don’t want all of extra verbiage from the compiler. I would l like something closer to the Arduino compiler

I think that isn’t intentional anyway. This might be due to the fact that device OS 2.0.0 now uses a newer compiler and the Web IDE log parser hasn’t been adapted for that yet.
When you build for 1.5.2 you should still see the error log as usual.

@marekparticle, do we have a timeline for the Web IDE error logs being brushed up for 2.0.0 support?

Hi @ScruffR - thank you for bringing this to my attention. @m_m, do you happen to know the answer?

1 Like

Yes, it was the OS target. I reduced it to 1.52 and everything worked as expected. I did notice the target device is actually at release 0.7.0 so someday, I’ll need to update the photon itself.

Hi @harley We’ve updated the Web IDE to support the new gcc 9.2 used in latest Device OS version. You should be able to see the errors correctly now, without the need to go into the raw ones :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.