Compile, publish dashboard problems

Using Particle-Dev I modified the “LEDs over internet” example so that it publishes a value which I can monitor with the dashboard. It seems, however, that the compile, upload, test cycle has some significant flaws:

1. “Compile on the cloud and upload” does not actually compile and upload the latest code. I need to specifically delete the *bin file or else the old file gets uploaded.
  2. Even deleting the *.bin file doesn’t quite do the trick to get the latest source compiled. I must specifically save it using the menu Edit/Save function first - pressing command-S does not work.
  3. Quite often the dashboard does not update at all; it does not show that the particle device is taken off line, refreshed and no published values are shown. I need to refresh the browser (safari) and select the device before I see anything.

So with every compile, upload, test cycle I need to do:

1. delete the *.bin file
  2. File/Save
  3. Compile and upload
  4. Possible refresh the browser.

Very “unmagical” - what am I missing?

This was intended to be an "improvement" in case you want to flash the same binary multiple times :wink:
But you don't actually need to delete the file, just click the build button before the flash button.

The missing auto-save function has been irritating others too, but Command+S should work. If not check the key mappings, if there is any other command assigned to that combo.

This was intended to be an "improvement" in case you want to flash the same binary multiple times :wink:
But you don't actually need to delete the file, just click the build button before the flash button.

hmm, the 'flash' button's balloon hint says: "Compile in cloud and upload code using cloud". Sounds to me it is supposed to do both a compile and flash in one, not just a flash of *.bin

cmd+S is assigned to The File/Save function but does not work. I need to select File/Save from the menu.

The tooltip tells the truth when there is no .bin file present.
You have to ask @suda about this enhancment :wink:

Have you checked the keymapping in the respective config file ( File / Settings / Keybindings ) or just looked in the File menu?

Yes, checked the keybindings, it shows the correct cmd-S binding. To add to the mystery, it works fine on my iMac but not on my rMBP. Weird stuff.

I’ve got the compile, flash, test cycle in my fingers now - would like to automate it a bit later on (CLI perhaps?). Just the on-boarding process for this board is a bit cumbersome and takes to much time IMHO. Anyhow, thanks for your help.

1 Like

Actually autosave has been added in 0.0.33 but hasn’t been bundled in Particle Dev app yet. We’ll update it soon but in the mean time you can use Atom and access “bleeding edge” features :slight_smile:

In a similar vein, I have been working through the Electron demo code and in publish.ino I have flashed using USB serial and have the project working. I am able to check the light level using particle variable get device analogvalue but do not see any events on the Dashboard ( I am logged in and my Electron is listed with a pulsing blue dot. Am I missing a step?

A correction to my previous (7) post. The variable test was for the previous project. For publish.ino I have got results from the command line with Particle subscribe mine but no Dashboard log. Why?