Compatibility of Workbench and Arduino

I have the Particle stuff added to my VS Code instance and everything is working great.

I’d like to use the same environment for working with regular Arduino type devices too. I am not sure how that would work because they don’t have Device OS and I assume need a different set of libraries, etc.

Thanks in advance.

@rdc2732, you are correct that the Particle code will not work with any Arduino devices. However, there is an extension for Arduino you can add to VScode:

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=vsciot-vscode.vscode-arduino

Thank you PK. From your reply I assume the Particle and Arduino extensions can coexist in the same VS Code, right?

Thanks,
Rick

@rdc2732, I haven’t tried it myself. However, you may need to create a separate Workspace for Arduino if you have any problems.

1 Like

Hi @rdc2732 -

Not sure if this will help, but I have successfully run Arduino and Particle extensions in VSC prior to moving over to Particle devices exclusively.

I had some Arduino UNO’s lying around so often used them for POC before building the device on Particle platform. For me it worked seamlessly. The only slightly confusing part was to make sure to select correct board types etc as it add’s more selection option on the VSC UI.

Might be worth mentioning, I am using the OSx version of VSC. Not sure if the MS one differs.

Kind Regards,
Friedl.

1 Like

Thank you Friedl,

Rick

1 Like

HI @rdc2732 -

Oh one more thing, welcome to Particle forum :smile:

Regards,
Friedl.

1 Like