Coming Soon: Special Edition Particle Snowflake!

Hello Friends!

It's the most wonderful time of the year so here at Particle we decided to celebrate the cold weather by creating the limited edition Particle P2 PCB Snowflake!

At its core is the P2 module, equipped with pre-loaded snowflake firmware. Key features include a built-in speaker for playing holiday music and 36 RGB LEDs capable of various light patterns and effects. This allows you to enjoy an interactive light experience right away or customize it to fit your holiday theme. I'm going to try and make use of the P2's ML capabilities and see if I can train it to screech in agony whenever my least favorite carol is played.

More details (like how to get your hands on one) will come next week!

9 Likes

Lovely!

Looks fun! Any chance they will also come as a loose kit?

@Colleen, it's so shiny! Can't wait to receive it :heart_eyes:

How to get rid of the music?

And what is do the various buttons do?

It normally doesn't play music, at least once you've set it up at setup.particle.io. I think there is only the capacitive touch button on the front of the snowflake (Particle logo in the center) that changes the color pattern.

On the back where the P2 is mounted there are the standard Particle RESET and MODE buttons on either side of the status LED that can enter listening or DFU mode for reprogramming by USB.

Both the hardware and software are open source and you can of course customize the software behavior to whatever you like.

2 Likes

I'm having trouble getting the snowflake project to compile in Particle Workbench on Windows 11:

123 | #if defined(__cplusplus) && EI_C_LINKAGE == 1
      |                             ^~~~~~~~~~~~
c:/Users/User/Repositories/p2snowflake/firmware/snowflake//src/edge-impulse-sdk/porting/iar/ei_classifier_porting.cpp:19:5: warning: "EI_PORTING_IAR" is not defined, evaluates to 0 [-Wundef]
   19 | #if EI_PORTING_IAR == 1
      |     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/bin/bash: C:/Users/User/.particle/toolchains/gcc-arm/10.2.1/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc-ar: Argument list too long
make[4]: *** [../build/module.mk:255: ../build/target/user/platform-32-m/snowflake/libuser.a] Error 126
make[3]: *** [../../../build/recurse.mk:12: user] Error 2
make[2]: *** [../build/recurse.mk:12: modules/tron/user-part] Error 2
make[1]: *** [C:\Users\User\.particle\toolchains\buildscripts\1.15.0\Makefile:142: make-main] Error 2
make: *** [C:\Users\User\.particle\toolchains\buildscripts\1.15.0\Makefile:87: compile-user] Error 2

*  The terminal process "C:\Users\User\.particle\toolchains\buildtools\1.1.1\bin\bash.exe '-c', 'make -f 'C:\Users\User\.particle\toolchains\buildscripts\1.15.0\Makefile' compile-user -s'" terminated with exit code: 2. 
 *  Press any key to close the terminal. 

I'm not highly experienced with VS Code, am I missing something in how I open the repo or my build settings?

Unfortunately Cloud Compile also times out.

Update: I got a successful compile on Windows 11 by changing lines 11 & 12 in build.mk to:

# add C and CPP files - if USRSRC is not empty, then add a slash
CPPSRC += $(call target_files,*.cpp)
CSRC += $(call target_files,*.c)

*** Update: But that binary crashes the P2 :frowning:

Looks like P2/Photon2/Snowflake devices show up in the Particle iOS App as type "Unknown" an attempting to open Gear Icon: Documentation brings up "Electron Cellular"