CLI 1.44.0 flash --serial error

I just noticed that after a serial flash of the bootloader the CLI does not return to the prompt [Edit] seems to take a long while to do so > 30 seconds? Using ctrl-c can get the prompt back. Is this is a new fault or a feature?

$ particle flash --serial "photon-bootloader@1.2.1.bin"

! PROTIP: Hold the SETUP button on your device until it blinks blue!

? **Press** **ENTER** **when your device is blinking** **BLUE**  

sending file: photon-bootloader@1.2.1.bin

Flash success!

I noticed the same change with 1.44.0 while struggling through this CLI 1.44.0 device doctor error post.

DO NOT use 1.44 for particle update , or you’ll be the proud owner of a little 2 inch brick.

Sounds like @m_m is on it though. Cheers

DO NOT use 1.44 for particle update , or you’ll be the proud owner of a little 2 inch brick.

yikes!

can you tell me more about what you experienced? what device type / platform were you targeting? did you get an error? is the device currently in that condition?

Yes it is still SOS-ing :exploding_head:

There is a lot of detail in my other post regarding the conditions leading up to the SOS condition - basic issue was that after a Factory Reset, the device would not exit listening mode regardless of various firmware update efforts using all available methods (app, CLI, workbench and SWD). Then particle update seemed to be the final nail in the coffin.

If anybody can confirm that CLI 1.44 particle update does not SOS their Gen3 device, I’m happy to strike the comment and assume it was a pre-existing condition on mine! Just wanted @armor to be safer than sorry-er.

This my 2nd SOS device AFTER upgrading to firmware 1.3.0, so I opened a ticket with support yesterday per @ScruffR recommendation!

I’m happy to try stuff on it if you can think of anything. I have the USB debugger device, and CLI in DFU still works - just no serial connection.

1 Like

ok, thanks.

...device would not exit listening mode regardless of various firmware update efforts using all available methods (app, CLI, workbench and SWD). Then particle update seemed to be the final nail in the coffin

yeah, that sounds like a series of things contributing to ultimate badness :frowning:

If anybody can confirm that CLI 1.44 particle update does not SOS their Gen3 device

i just ran it here against my argon and boron - it worked as expected :+1:

Just wanted @armor to be safer than sorry-er.

:pray::+1:

I’m happy to try stuff on it if you can think of anything.

i'd love to get you to at least try hitting it with particle doctor once i get this bugfix release out :pray:

thanks for the info & help :+1:

@armor

just tried it here and i see what you mean… it exits but waits ~1m 15s before doing so… which is new behavior. i’ll see if i can sort it out - thanks for the heads-up :+1:

@armor update: found it. fix will be in the next CLI release :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks - interested to know if you think that automated regression testing would have caught this?

What firmware are those devices running? I honestly can't remember why I did the factory reset, but it seems like my issues started with a device update to 1.3.0.rc.1. If the root issue is this item #1898 (from 1.4.0 release notes):

1. CRITICAL: fixes heap and application static RAM overlap. This was the cause of SYSTEM_07_fragmented_heap stress test failure and who knows how many of the other weird Gen 3 issues. This needs be backported into 1.3.1 default as we broke things in 1.3.0-rc.1 in #1819

How would a person recover from that? Maybe I should make a new post on that to avoid hijacking this CLI thread. :smile:

Thanks!