Cannot flash Tracker SoM Evaluation Kit using VS Code

I’m new to Particle. When I try to flash code to Tracker SoM Evaluation Kit has the following error.

Opening DFU capable USB device…
ID 2b04:d01a
Run-time device DFU version 011a
Claiming USB DFU Interface…
Setting Alternate Setting #0
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
DFU mode device DFU version 011a
Device returned transfer size 4096
DfuSe interface name: "Internal Flash "
Downloading to address = 0x080a0000, size = 3420
Last page at 0x080a0d5b is not writeable
make[2]: *** […/…/…/build/module.mk:126:program-dfu] Error 74
make[1]: *** […/build/recurse.mk:12:modules/photon/user-part] Error 2
make: *** [C:\Users\Administrator.particle\toolchains\buildscripts\1.10.0\Makefile:86:flash-user] Error 2

It is just an empty project. I guess the followings may cause this problem:

1. I cannot find decent driver of the device. In my device manager, it is marked as "USB Serial Port (COM16).
  2. In Vs code, while setting up the device, I cannot find Tracker SoM. While I set it to tracker, it shows “device not found”. So, I set it to photon, it seems work, but cannot write code in.
  3. While I click on the “flashing” button on vs code, the “USB serial port (COM16)” disappear, and the RGB LED flashing from green to green and red. (I guess it lost contact with my computer)

Also, I have problem finding quick start tutorials for this development board. The Quick Start tutorials have Argon, Boron, B Series SoM, Photon, Electron, etc. but not tracker SoM.

Hope someone can help me with it.
Cheers!
Matt

Now, it has new error code but I don’t think I changed anything.

:::: FLASHING APPLICATION

Creating d:/work/Particle/Projects/hello_world4/target/3.3.0/tracker/platform_user_ram.ld …
c:/users/administrator/.particle/toolchains/gcc-arm/10.2.1/bin/…/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/10.2.1/…/…/…/…/arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe: …/…/…/build/target/nrf5_sdk/platform-26-m/\libnrf5_sdk.a: member …/…/…/build/target/nrf5_sdk/platform-26-m/\libnrf5_sdk.a(nrfx_power.o) in archive is not an object
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** […/…/…/build/module.mk:232:d:/work/Particle/Projects/hello_world4/target/3.3.0/tracker/hello_world4.elf] Error 1
make[1]: *** […/build/recurse.mk:12:modules/tracker/user-part] Error 2
make: *** [C:\Users\Administrator.particle\toolchains\buildscripts\1.10.0\Makefile:86:flash-user] Error 2

• You definitely need to be using Tracker as the target, and will absolutely not work if you select Photon. That’s the cause of the first error (Last page at 0x080a0d5b is not writeable)

• By default, Tracker devices are not claimed to your account so you can’t select the tracker by name from Particle Workbench. You to do one of:

• Claim it to your account and mark it as a development device
    • Specify it by Device ID (24-character hex) when selecting the device in Workbench
    • Hit ESC when asked to select the device and use the buttons on the device to put it in DFU mode

There are additional instructions in the Tracker Edge Tutorial.

I’m not sure about the second error, but I’d try a Particle: Clean Application & Device OS (local).

1 Like

Thank you, Rickkas. The problem solved after entering the serial number. However, it seems that the sample code doesn’t work for my board. e.g. I put the following code in the setup method:

RGB.control(true);
RGB.color(255,0,0);

The code flashing successfully but the RGB LED still green.

There are a few possibilities. The most common is that your device is missing a dependency. This will happen if you flashed the device from Workbench because it doesn’t update all of the components such as SoftDevice and the bootloader.

• Once the device has connected to the cloud, it will update the missing components OTA.
  • You can device restore USB with the same version of Device OS you are targeting from workbench to update the missing components, then flash the application only from Workbench.

To be sure, you could put the Tracker in listening mode (blinking dark blue) and do a particle serial inspect or use the online device inspect tool (which only work on the Chrome browser on Mac, Windows, Linux, or Chromebook).

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.