Building Two Spark Cores by Hand

True, they may have some samples… however samples usually come with reps calling you constantly about your project and your EAU. When I build up #2, I’ll check digikey and then think about calling Johanson. Thanks :wink:

Quick question: where did you manage to find the Haoyu buttons from? not the simplest part to get your hand on :slight_smile:

@chibuk there were quite a few substitutions that I had to make to get the parts, or to get cheap parts in low quantities. For the Buttons I used this part which is a little wider, but fit just fine:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/KMR231NG%20LFS/CKN10246CT-ND/2176497

Check my BOM in the first post (and scroll to the right inside of it) to see all the parts I used, with links to Digikey for pretty much everything.

If you are building one, good luck! :smile:

Somehow I missed that note! Most appreciated, and for the super fast response.

I can’t stress enough how awesome I think it is you were able to assemble this yourself, practically all at home. Congrats and keep up the good work.

2 Likes

Thanks @henriquepss :smile: I love being able to do it as well. I really love making things, especially electronic ones. If the PCB wasn’t double sided and fine pitch with so many thin tracks, I could have made it down in the basement lab as well. I have a special lamination machine and use the toner transfer method on tracks down to 6 mils, but it’s much easier to stay in the 8 mil and above range. I even silver plate the tracks and add black silk screen using the toner transfer method again. You really can make PCBs at home in little to no time at all for about 25 cents per square inch, but OSHPark.com is super convenient if you don’t want to invest in the materials and equipment for making your own PCBs. Etching a small PCB like the spark core would literally take about 1 minute per side using the sponge-wipe technique. When you design it to be surface mount and one sided, it gets really fun because there’s no drilling, jumpers, and it’s super fast. If you need something start to finish on the weekend, being able to make it at home is worth every penny.

2 Likes

Hey @BDub , Great work , the web app that u created is amazing. Thankss alot . I have a question, am trying to follow your steps to build my spark core. I’m using stm32 and the cc3000, where did you get the stm32 port for the cc3000 host driver ? I can’t find it anywhere , could you please give me a link or something where I can get that host driver? or some guidlines on how you went about the software part of the project ? the firmware and that kind of stuff
Thanks

@m2theTaz thanks! If you are ready for software, you’ll need some help from the Spark Team. I was sent some files and instructions. I had to load several binary files via the ST-LinkV2 JTAG programmer. When you get a chance post some pictures of your board, I’m sure everyone would love to see more hardcore dedication displayed.

@BDub You decided to made, just for fun? because the price is almost the same, mounted and ready to run…

@Edumanilha I had decided to make them, because I found out about the Spark Core after all of the Beta tester rewards had been taken… and I felt I could contribute more to this community and product if I wasn’t sitting around waiting for rewards to ship :slight_smile:

By building one, it also forced me to really study the design closely and contribute any hardware improvements before production manufacturing had started.

It also proved that the :spark: Spark Core is indeed open source, open hardware… which is really easy to say, but many companies don’t fulfill that promise completely enough to make it true.

2 Likes

@BDub I got it! Seens they really keep their word! Giving support and everything! I thought to try at home too, but I’m not skilled with electronics soldering and everything…Nice job btw! If the materials could be a little cheaper, I could try to build some at home and create a wifi project…Maybe I’ll buy one, just for my use and learning…Sorry if you understood my words wrongly, thats not my intention! =D

Great Job!

2 Likes

Hey BDub.

Ressurecting this post =)
Did you use the 2.2nH RF inductor instead of the 3.3nH? Is that okay to do? I bought the components without checking this…

Anyways, wish me luck! Want my Spark up and running soon and healthy =D

I built a version 0.20 board, so at the time the value 2.2nH was correct. I see now on v1.0 it is 3.3nH on schematic and BOM so I would definitely go with that :smile:

Good luck! be sure to post your results.

Ummm. Gotta find where to buy this in Brazil if I dont want to wait another month for it to come from digikey.

Any suggestions? I’m almost sure that they don’t sell those here.

http://www.makershed.com/Spark_Core_Chip_Antenna_p/mkspk01.htm

Oh, I’m sorry, it seems I was misunderstood.
I’m looking for the 3.3nH inductor, not the whole module itself.

I have no idea if these are RF rated, but if you are stuck it’s worth a shot:

Hello guys, wanted to know if both 8 and 32 crystals have polarity. I’ve checked the datasheets but still need some confirmation… Thanks!

There’s no polarity for crystals :slight_smile:

kennethlimcp, that’s assuming they are not dilithium crystals! :open_mouth:

2 Likes