Building Two Spark Cores by Hand

Please put that on the :spark: core ? :smiley:

Hey spark community again! Now Iā€™m wondering how should I place the C15 - Tantalum 10uF cap. Polarity?

Tantalums are polarized, and the stripe is usually the Positive side. You can also typically find a small ā€˜+ā€™ near the striped side to confirm. If you are not sure consult your capā€™s datasheet.

1 Like

In your BOM the R3 (1K5) is replaced by a 100K. Is that okay?
My board has the uFL connector on the LEFT side, not on the RIGHT side, as it is on the newest Assembly Diagramā€¦

What version are you building?

@BDub Would you mind throwing up that BOM again? Iā€™m going to use this as an example to teach a few kids how to solder this summer and this is going to be the graduation ā€œgiftā€! ^^

1 Like

Hereā€™s the Updated link for the v0.2 BOM. Sorry, Droplr turned into a paid service sadly. Thatā€™s ok, thereā€™s more file sharing sites such as Dropbox and OneDrive to use.

Keep in mind this is not the v1.0 BOM, but there are probably not a lot of differences between the two BOMs. My v0.2 BOM will still help you find most of the parts you need from Digikey. If I were you Iā€™d make sure to build the v1.0 PCB. Good luck!

1 Like

@BDub Do you possibly know the diff/delta to the 1.0 version so I donā€™t have to go trough the new one and find everything again at Digi-key? :wink: (Yes itā€™s pure laziness from my side)

That would be sweet, but unfortunately no. Once I got my Cores I had no more desire to build them by hand again. I just looked at the v1.0 BOM and was comparing thingsā€¦ kinda sucks but it looks like the board was re-annotated so all of the reference designators are different now as well. What you would have to do it go through the v1.0 BOM line by line and then look on my v0.2 BOM and see if there is a part value/size that matches. If so, copy items under the blue header and paste at the end of the v1.0 BOM line item youā€™re comparing with. Or just copy the part number, digikey number and digikey linkā€¦ prices most likely have changed anyway. There are definitely no short cuts when attempting a project like this :smile:

Curious Questionā€¦
ĀæHow much are the components (BOM) on their own at DigiKey?

When I built the v0.2 board, a single set of parts could be purchased for $34.57. Now the CC3000 module in single quantities is about $10 more because they figured out that IoT was a thing. Today if you are building your own, itā€™s because you want the challenge or maybe you have a custom Sparkified product youā€™re working on.

1 Like

Iā€™m asking because if one of my prototypes make it to a viable product Iā€™m building my own boardā€¦ Just checking how much profit I could make. :smiley:

Youā€™ll want to use Spark Core hardware prices in volume to calculate profits. I have a number for that, but instead of posting it here I think you should talk to @zach. Basically itā€™s not even close to $39 per Core once you start buying them in quantity. Yes, ā€œWiFi for Everythingā€ really is possible :smile:

Hi @frlobo - if youā€™re interested in purchasing Spark Cores in volumes or understanding what the cost will look like for you to implement the design on your own, please email us at hello@spark.io and we can take care of you there. Thanks!

Hey @BDub just stumbled back upon this post and wanted to let you know that it was after seeing your OSH Park Cores that I realized how awesome our community was going to be. Rock on, man.

3 Likes